• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

We have lift-off!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Speddmon

Blind squirrel rehabiltator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Hey everybody,

Thought I would post an update about my second MEP-003a gen-set. Initially I thought it just needed the blower (fan) on the back of the engine , and to straighten out the control panel, and replace the hour meter and amp gauge to get it running. I was wrong, upon closer inspection I noticed inside the reconnection box (the one on the bottom left if you're facing the control panel) that the reconnection switch had many loose wires, and that the bridge rectifier board was fried as well as the innermost lug of the three phase breaker.

I purchased another generator that zb39 was gracious enough to preview for me and verify that the blower was intact. I didn't know about the electrical problems at this point. Luckily for me though, the parts machine had the reconnection box on it and was probably 90% intact. I had to use my receptacle and 7 1/2 amp AC circuit breaker from my original box to complete the new one. I mounted the box to the set and moved on to the next problem. After straightening out the control panel face and replacing the hour meter and amp gauge I moved on to the fuel tank. It had no cap when I bought it, so I pulled it and drained the water and fuel from it and had put it in the garage for the past month while doing other things. During this time the rest of the water evaporated, so I installed the new cap I purchased from Delks Army Navy and mounted the fuel tank and filled her up. installing the blower wheel was pretty straight-forward and took about 30 minutes total. While I was in there I metered the stator since I was there, and it checked ok. Sheet metal all back on and on to the last problem...

The generator was marked unservicable from who-ever. I am assuming that it's because they couldn't keep the motor running. This can be verified by looking at the tech manual for troubleshooting the motor. Table 4-2 shows the steps to troubleshoot the motor cranking but not starting. It tells you to check the stop solenoid, then move to the fuel strainer and fuel filters, from there it has you replace the fuel pumps and then the intake heaters and glow plugs...All of this was done by somebody, because I've got 3 brand new fuel pumps, a brand new stop solenoid, and brand new intake heaters and glow plugs. Before I even bought the parts generator, I noticed that a wire in the wiring harness coming from the high temperature shutdown switch had rubbed through and was grounded (I'm an electrician, I guess I always check wires first) I taped this wire up and fired the generator up. I had the start it twice to build up the oil pressure, but once the pressure came up she stayed running!!!!! Here is a video, the engine was already warm, so I just had to start it. I had to do it twice because of the oil pressure. I tried to get a close up of the grounded wire I taped up, but it's hard to see. You can see in the video, that I just jumped it from the other set.

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jc0YTK3Gcro[/media]

OLDCHEV4X4

Good deal.
I wish my fuel tank was that easy to fix. Its very rusty and all the ones at the junk yard are the same way. Must be a common problem.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks