• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Weird stuff going on

Hooty86

So this is my first post but been lurking for years. I have a weird issue and I am at my wits end. I bought this 1028 3 years ago its a daily driver during this period oil changes coolant changes and one axle joint in 3 years. Starts all the time no matter temp and runs decent. Slow but decent. Here is the events of last 2 days
1. Changed the oil
2. Rotated tires dropped it off the jack started it and knew right away something was wrong. Surging a bit at idle back it out of driveway shut it off. Come back out to pick up wife it starts revs way up then right back down. I drive it around a little and notice if I hit brakes hard it revs up in gear with no throttle given this lasts for a few seconds then normal. I do the bleed for air procedure there is none. I trail ride it for 3 hours Sunday no issues except every start is the same way high then right back down. Will still rev way up if brakes are hit hard. Today it starts same thing but runs different down low like I took a distributer and retarded it. Feels okay after 35 runs down highway at 60 no issue truck has 35 inch tires. Starts really surging at idle bad way up then back down. I pull the check valve thing out figuring I am gonna need to break it or something. Well it's not there I have driven truck for 24k miles in 3 years and never touched it. Bought truck with 21k on it. Could my glass ball have broken the other day and be causing these issues or did someone pull it years ago. It's very clean in the IP area I can see the little plunger moves freely and return line is free of anything. Truck starts at turn of key barely cranks just like always. I opened my bleeder valve while idling no air and truck keeps idling fine. I let it run that way for 15 Seconds. Also after giving up and putting it back together I turned the idle up a touch and it doesn't rev up braking hard anylonger. But still feels soft down low but fine at highway speed. Sorry for this long first post but I don't know where to go from here. This truck has been driven the last 3 years without issues except for normal Cucv stuff I have been able to get fixed by reading posts here. Thanks for any help.

Last edited:

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
So this is my first post but been lurking for years. I have a weird issue and I am at my wits end. I bought this 1028 3 years ago its a daily driver during this period oil changes coolant changes and one axle joint in 3 years. Starts all the time no matter temp and runs decent. Slow but decent. Here is the events of last 2 days
1. Changed the oil
2. Rotated tires dropped it off the jack started it and knew right away something was wrong. Surging a bit at idle back it out of driveway shut it off. Come back out to pick up wife it starts revs way up then right back down. I drive it around a little and notice if I hit brakes hard it revs up in gear with no throttle given this lasts for a few seconds then normal. I do the bleed for air procedure there is none. I trail ride it for 3 hours Sunday no issues except every start is the same way high then right back down. Will still rev way up if brakes are hit hard. Today it starts same thing but runs different down low like I took a distributer and retarded it. Feels okay after 35 runs down highway at 60 no issue truck has 35 inch tires. Starts really surging at idle bad way up then back down. I pull the check valve thing out figuring I am gonna need to break it or something. Well it's not there I have driven truck for 24k miles in 3 years and never touched it. Bought truck with 21k on it. Could my glass ball have broken the other day and be causing these issues or did someone pull it years ago. It's very clean in the IP area I can see the little plunger moves freely and return line is free of anything. Truck starts at turn of key barely cranks just like always. I opened my bleeder valve while idling no air and truck keeps idling fine. I let it run that way for 15 Seconds. Also after giving up and putting it back together I turned the idle up a touch and it doesn't rev up braking hard anylonger. But still feels soft down low but fine at highway speed. Sorry for this long first post but I don't know where to go from here. This truck has been driven the last 3 years without issues except for normal Cucv stuff I have been able to get fixed by reading posts here. Thanks for any help.
Is it possible that all this surging coincided with a recent trip to the gas station? Maybe you got some bad fuel? As bad as it sounds, disconnecting the fuel supply from the IP, and turning over the motor to capture some fuel in a glass jar should show you something - maybe?

If one of the Moderators happen to be watching, you might get more "visibility" in the CUCV form.
Hopefully they can move it for you...

Hooty86

Is it possible that all this surging coincided with a recent trip to the gas station? Maybe you got some bad fuel? As bad as it sounds, disconnecting the fuel supply from the IP, and turning over the motor to capture some fuel in a glass jar should show you something - maybe?

If one of the Moderators happen to be watching, you might get more "visibility" in the CUCV form.
Hopefully they can move it for you...

ToddJK

I suspect it has to do with the fuel tank. Perhaps jacking it up caused some crud in the tank to flow and gather around the fuel pump and got sucked in after starting.
I would start with the fuel filter(s). Maybe add a bottle of heat or two just in case if there is water in the tank. At some point, may want to drop your fuel tank and see if it's dirty inside or has particles at the bottom.

Squibbly

Check your transmission fluid level (and viscosity). When I hear high revving when you stomp the brake I start thinking torque converter trying to deal with low fluid levels (or a bad kick down switch), which would also cause slowness over time as you described.

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks