• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Welcome - M1010 Audio Build

SounDrive

Hey guys. I'm the owner of SounDrive Audio and I'm working on an audio build in a m1010 here soon. We also have a m1028 without a motor and 2 m1008s (one is totaled).

Right now one of the 1008s and the 1010 are the only ones close to running but they both have issues. The 1010 is my main priority and I'll be posting up some question threads about it in the appropriate forum.

My current plans for audio in the m1010 once it's running is to do a blow through using the entire ambulance bed. I've already ran the numbers and will be putting 10-12 18" subwoofers in it. Should be fun. :)

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
I've seen windshields pop out with less subs than that. What kind of wattage? Wow its been a long time since I've fooled that much with audio. Does "IASCA" still exist? I might have to get out my Audio control and Hifonics gear to put in the M35!

SounDrive

I'm thinking about 20kW to start. The windshield will probably have to be replaced with plexiglass but I plan on putting a reinforcement pole between the roof and floor - the roof flexing is usually what causes windshields to go.

IASCA is still around but it's not too big here. The main one around me is MECA and there's a little DB Drag presence too.

Audio has advanced a lot in the past 10-15 years. Subs aren't as efficient, but power is cheap and stuff can take gobs of power.

Last edited:

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
Its funny, they used to have power classes. The manufacturer would rate an amp at 100w @ 8ohms and once you put 8 speakers with passive crossovers on that amp it would see 1/4 ohm and put out 6000watts haha. Then came the digital processor age with noise-gates/DSPs and Clark audio with diamond coated wavegiude speakers that cost more than my house.

I still love audio but had to bow out of keeping up with the latest and greatest. I have a nice system at home and in my truck, maybe in an MV sometime.

SounDrive

I've got something a bit more mild (if 5kW is mild) in my daily driver, but this will be a company vehicle to help with marketing :)

And you know... to have some fun. It'll be a learning experience for me as I've never worked on a diesel before. I'm a quick learner though

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
How will you power 20,000 watts? There were some folks around here that ran megawatt cb radios. One guy in a suburban was running 8 alternators to provide power. He ended up installing a big block to keep from breaking the nose of the crankshaft. If you need that too, reconsider as the 6.2 would likely hurt the crank.

SounDrive

How will you power 20,000 watts? There were some folks around here that ran megawatt cb radios. One guy in a suburban was running 8 alternators to provide power. He ended up installing a big block to keep from breaking the nose of the crankshaft. If you need that too, reconsider as the 6.2 would likely hurt the crank.
I'll just be using 2 alternators to start with and a ton of batteries in the back. It won't be continuously drawing 20kW. The largest alternator I can get is a 240a with the v belt; but I can use 370s with a serpentine belt. With the way that impedance works, a 20kW amp will only output around 10kW on music, and that's assuming full tilt with a constant bassline. Even 2 240a alts would support half of that with the batteries handling the rest, and alternators charging the batteries between songs.

The crankshaft shouldn't be an issue, a friend of mine has around 8 alternators on an old bus with no issues. Realistically the most alternators I would put on here in the end would be about 4-6. That'll be a bridge I cross once 2 won't cut it though.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks