• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Welded Differentials?

downhillbiker

I purchased my M211 for snow plow usage and because of the open differentials I see a potential for getting stuck.

I have heard you can get Detroit lockers for these, but they cost something like $600-$800.

Has anyone welded their gears inside their differential? I would only drive the truck on the road during a parade once a year. Other than that it is a strictly off road truck.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

DUUANE

Sounds like a recipe for understeer and tire wear. The front axle is on a sprag..so if the rears push the front wont pull you through a corner like a 2 axle truck in all wheel drive.
Maybe im wrong but that seems likely to me. A locker in the front i would say sure..i would want a selectable locker for the rears though for the same reasons.

downhillbiker

Sounds like a recipe for understeer and tire wear. The front axle is on a sprag..so if the rears push the front wont pull you through a corner like a 2 axle truck in all wheel drive.
Maybe im wrong but that seems likely to me. A locker in the front i would say sure..i would want a selectable locker for the rears though for the same reasons.
Huh, I hadn't thought about that.

Do you know what model axle/diff these have sp that I can look into how much the selectable lockers are actually going to cost me?

Jbulach

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Tire chains will serve you a lot better in the snow than anything you can do to your differentials.

As for welding or permanently locking, would only be acceptable if the truck was being used for a off road, lightly loaded only, and only the rear axles.

patracy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
I think everyone should experience the "joy" of a welded/spooled axle. At least once in their life. So they can curse at it every chance they get going forward.

downhillbiker

You make it sound so enticing.

I planned to get a set of chains, so I will start there and buy lockers next year if I find that I need them.

gentrysgarage

The best diff would be either a air or electric locker but we are SOL on this unless we have an Aussi company make a one off for VERY big bucks. Not in the books for me at least.

I actually sought advice on this subject earlier this year, please see https://www.steelsoldiers.com/showt...led-deuce-with-Detroit-and-icy-roads-feedback this tread, as I knew I was regulated to having a Detroit, but didn't want to hamper my ability to navigate icy roads. The formula I am going to use is the one suggested by Eliteweapons in post 6. No I don't have the money right now and I have to save up for them (going to due the rear first) but for our trucks and axles this was the best solution I have found to make them "All Terrain" Super capable.

Hope this Helps

Last edited:

DUUANE

Yea no selectables for these diffs as far as i know..but if i could get one..id figure out a way to get them..ditto on the tire chains..im the guy on the trail with the chains on the front axle using them to cut blown down trees :cool:

gentrysgarage

Red Barn Customs, one of many sources...
Uhmm Sir Jbulach and Mr Gimpy,
Red Barn abandoned the Eaton H110 decades ago, I called them a few years ago on an old web post I saw in a mudder forum and the guy that answered had no idea what aa H110 was, nor did the guy he passed me to. If you know a place other than the Aussis, please post up the company as I have been searching for years, even had found a guy who helped design/engineer the ARB air locker who would remanufacture them but it was almost as much as the Aussi's and he wanted to do a qty of about 150! But he had dropped off the face of the internet many years ago...
Thanks guys, if you have a company please post up, this has been very frustrating for me.

Jbulach

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Uhmm Sir Jbulach and Mr Gimpy,
Red Barn abandoned the Eaton H110 decades ago, I called them a few years ago on an old web post I saw in a mudder forum and the guy that answered had no idea what aa H110 was, nor did the guy he passed me to. If you know a place other than the Aussis, please post up the company as I have been searching for years, even had found a guy who helped design/engineer the ARB air locker who would remanufacture them but it was almost as much as the Aussi's and he wanted to do a qty of about 150! But he had dropped off the face of the internet many years ago...
Thanks guys, if you have a company please post up, this has been very frustrating for me.
Yep sorry, I had ARB 2-1/2 ton Rockwell on the brain...

Karl kostman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Welded Diffs, The only application I ever really heard of this was in dirt circle track race cars, I am going to say there is probably a pretty good reason for THAT!!!!
KK

patracy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Going forward isn't the problem, it's turning (LOL).
Exactly. But I'll even admit that the detroit in my 1008 can be a little annoying at times with the tire barking at times. I'm going to put some spacers on the rear to see if I can get it to behave a little better if the track width is closer to the front. (HMMWV wheels fit on the rear without any spacer, but they tuck way in)

I've got a spool in my monte carlo SS that I need to yank out. Spools on anything that is on the street isn't worth it. And I definitely wouldn't want them in snow/ice!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks