• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Welding on rockwell axles

7bdiver

I know a couple folks on here have welded on their Rockwell axles, for such things like steering ram mounts, but as far as I can search, there aren't really any discussions on the welding itself. I need to weld a mount to mine here pretty soon.

My buddy is a pro welder and he's getting skittish about welding on cast steel, worried about cracking it. I don't imagine they're forged. Either way, you can see these 2.5 ton's welded up with trusses and whatnot all day long. Can't be that bad.

Does anyone have any experience or advice, such as preheating to a good 400 and not letting it cool off... leave the oil in while you do it, or drain most of it? stuff like that. Also, equipment and whatever rod you used, if special.

I haven't really been able to find any tips online in general either. Google has become a mountain of sales you just can't find anything in anymore.

7bdiver

That makes sense. For the most part, they don't look like a casting at all, except maybe at the ends. Explains why they've got so much stuff welded to them so often, and with most of the paint still on.

thanks

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks