• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Welding rod ID Quad steel 94

wdbtchr

I have a box of welding rods that were in some miscellaneous junk I got at a state surplus sale. The only markings on the rods is "Quad Steel 94". No markings or brand on the plastic box they're in. Anyone have any idea what these are for? I haven't found anything doing an internet search.

Westex

The "quad" designation means nothing more than the "pack", or package in which they were sold. The '94' designation means it is either a cast iron or nickel rod. The fact that it has the designation 'steel' on it tells me it is probably a nickel rod. Also, the fact that the rods are in a plastic case as you describe tell me it's nickel rods. But I'm not sure here. Best way is to burn one. If you have nickel rods, which I think you do, you have some fantastic rods if they are serviceable. But if they turn out to be cast iron rods, don't weld steel with them! Best I can do. Burn one with a DC if you can and see if it's shiny; if so: Nickel.

Westex

I went and looked at some old rods out in the barn after posting. I think, as an update, you have some high grade cast iron alloy rods. They are not something to run on steel. The alloy is nickel. But again, you never know 'till you burn one.

wdbtchr

Thanks! That's more information than I had. They appear to be in good shape the flux is dry and not flaky. It just so happens I have a huge old vise with a cracked base and a DC welder made from an old aircraft genorator. Might as well give it a try and see what happens.:roll:

[486]

I've got a question of the same sort, may as well put it in an existing thread so people can easily find it with the search function...

My dad picked up some welding rods in a surplus store in the late '90s, they are steel I think with a dark gray flux, and they are 1/8". The only marking on them is "4130" They do not seem to want to run in AC at a reasonable amperage.

I've just been using them for cutting with the machine on max amps [250A], but if they are identifiable as something semi-useful then I'd have to stop wasting them on cutting...
Thanks in advance for any responses.

wdbtchr

It's not listed in my book, but then a lot aren't. However if they sputer and pop and drop the arc then they're probably DC only rods.

rickf

Thanks! That's more information than I had. They appear to be in good shape the flux is dry and not flaky. It just so happens I have a huge old vise with a cracked base and a DC welder made from an old aircraft genorator. Might as well give it a try and see what happens.:roll:
If you are going to try to weld the vise you will need some serous preheat. The whole area you are going to weld will need to be heated up to around 500 degrees.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks