• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Went and looked at the 5 ton wreakers today...

FrankUSMC

First, they are big...
The guy has two. I did not have that much time today to look them over, but I plan on going up again with a camera.
The truck that I might be after is a M543, with what looks like a brand new multi fuel motor in it. The truck looked very complete. Had the front and rear winches on it, and the boom surports. I also found one of the.....help me on this...it looks like a spade you would hook to the back of the wreaker to keep it from being pulled backwards? It was near by and if I get the truck, I am sure the owner will throw it in the deal. I will also look for the other one. All the gages are there and not broken out. The steering wheel will need to be replaced, but I have a NOS one.
The down side, the truck has been sitting out side for awhile. It has a no top (soft top). The door handles are frozen due to rust, I did not try the windows. I did not see any rust out in the body but it does have plenty of surfice rust. The truck does have the inverted V for desert storm on the doors, so it was running in the early 90s.
The owner says he wants $5000 cash for the truck. I will call him this week and see if he can get it running.
What else should I look at? any advice? I am looking at this truck to use on my place for picking stuff up, not for towing trucks down the highway.
Oh, the second truck has a hard top, but looked a little rougher than this one.
One of the few, Frank

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
There you have it Chris! Take the offer on the 923, buy a wrecker and pocket some cashola.You will never be sorry for having a wrecker.

steelsoldiers

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Hmmm, definitely worth looking into. Thanks Kenny.

I would like to see some pics after you get back up there Frank. Was the hard top model a multi-fuel 543 also?

FrankUSMC

Chris
Yes, it was.
I hope you are in no big rush, as the Bride and I are also in the middle of buying and selling a house.
I will try to get back up there in a couple of weeks.
Also, the hard cab truck had better winch cable than the one that I am after.
One of the few, Frank

poppop

Sounds like a great price to me. I paid $2500.00 for mine with no winches, no doors, no top, and no windshields and no spades. With the purchase of all these parts I have much more than $5000.00 in mine. And I love it by the way!!!

rizzo

crawl under it and look for the pto shaft that goes to the pump under the crane turret. it has a rubber boot on it. check over the boot and make sure it is in good shape. if it is not in good shape you will have a ton of work replacing it if they have not done the split shaft upgrade. the shaft that goes to the pump will have a type of flange on it so that you can take the shaft apart to change the boot. I think this info is in the PS articles on the 543

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks