• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

We're gonna show the deuce' this summer

Low-Tech-Redneck

EVery year they hold a "last cruise" car show over in Bellefonte, the County seat where I live. They used to just close off the street for a block in every direction from the courthouse and have the cars line up and you could walk around them, but the show has grown so large in the last few years that they've decided it's too much hastle to close off all of downtown for it

So, for 05', organizers have moved it to the nearest large paved area........ the Military Museum in Boalsburg, and either to celebrate this move, or just because, they've added a new class of vehicles to the show.

Military Vehicles!

Dad and I are getting the Deuce spruced up for this, because win lose or draw, it's gonna be a real crowd pleaser. The only other competition I know we'll have to face is a guy who has a fully restored M151 w/ trailer that he's won the "Specialty Vehicles" calss with 2 years in a row, we'll have to see if we can unseat him :D

But if not, it's gonna be loads of fun

FIrst on our list of things to do is get the tarp over the cargo bed replaced with a real canvas cover, we've found one that's a manufactured repo of the milspec one, and we're ordering new bows from Saturn Surplus. THe top sections are fine, but the side stands are all rotten at the bottoms, probably because the bed filled with standing water while the deuce sat in GL limbo.

Then, we need to get a mill cut us new oak planks for the troop seats

We need to paint up the inerior, i'ts all scrateched and bleached, and some of the data plates need replacing with ones that have their natural color (old ones bleached)

AFter that, all we need is to get some stencils and put the authentic period markings on it, (we want to make it look pretty much as it would have in the era around 1970-1972) and we're good to go. To the best of my knowledge, the last place this truck was before going to GL was Ft. A.P. Hill, so maybe we can track down exactly what unit it was attached to and mark it up appropriately?

I"ll probably be hitting Ebay and other linked sites and see if I can find some of the old basic-issue stuff that came with the truck like the jack, etc.

I'll keep you guys updated, we had our first 60+ degree weather here today, so hopefuly that means spring is almost here!

Monster Man

good luck, it's a blast, and you'll be amazed what the proper markings will do for the truck. I added the TP50, and fuel tank overfill warning and air tank warning, made it look ten times better than with just the new paint and B&B stencils. A lot of purists probably hate our guts, but it's funny cause the B&B stencils are all cut to the correct size and are in the correct positions (except the tailgate- couldn't get it in the center because of a tie down loop?

a good tip- I cut all our stencils out of magnetic material- we have some of it here at work just sitting there (maybe I can score a few pieces if you're interested, but you have to be good with a knife to make it completely straight, best for the big stuff cause it took a few hours to cut the smaller letters out). We're not showing, just having fun so some of the letters don't look perfect, but everything passes the 3 foot rule (AKA sign maker's standard), and it looks amazing compared to before.

Anyhow, shouldn't be any trouble unseating the M151 with a well done deuce. Good luck and HAVE FUN!!!

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Hey, I've got some of those stencils! I only have the 1" size but I bought 2 sets just in case I have to stencil Mississippi on something.

Monster Man

cranetruck said:
You guys are familiar with the military brass stencils available from a number of sources. Right?
yup, but I'm notoriously cheap :lol: Also, how do those work on curved surfaces? In order to put my caution line on the tank 2" from the top level, the "caution" had to wrap up around the top halfway

Low-Tech-Redneck

I'm diving into some research right now to check out my options, Rick Larsen seems to have a good selection of stencils over at his website, and paint masks so you can cover all the composite lights and reflectors, and will even do custom stencils for the truck number

I'm also checking out my options on Ebay, found a few things we'll need like a bridgeplate and the rear "curtin" part of the canvas top. It's all out there........ just got to keep looking

Low-Tech-Redneck

Well, we just won a army-issue first aid kit (with it's unopened bandages and everything) from 1974 on Ebay, and we're also bidding on a 7.62mm ammo box and a mermite food container, which just happens to have AP Hill stencils on it.

The public affairs officer for Ft. Hill wrote me back, with military promptness, and informed me that our deuce probably passed though there on training, and was not one belonging to any of the tenant units, so back to the drawing board as far as trying to figure out who owned this truck

Keep ya posted

Low-Tech-Redneck

Heh, don't let me stop you, there's more than one out there, and we're being outbid at the moment anyway

We're going to replace the passenger's side fender anyway, it's got a big dent in it, but we got a spare from the salvage guy who sold us the truck. While we're going that, we'll patch the leak in the J pipe

Then, we're giving the truck a once-over with a spray gun, the current paint job was done w/ a rattle can, and isn't holding up super-well, we'll also want to paint the jerry can and spare tire, they missed painting the first time round'

n3uka

Don't worry about the cooler. I was checking it out because looked the best so far.
Will catch another one. No rush.
Are you going to make it to Aberdeen this year?
If so, will see you there :hop:

Low-Tech-Redneck

We aren't going to any other shows, haven't planned the time for it. But, if we do well with our renovations, there's always next year for other shows, this local event is kinda our big to do for now.

rdixiemiller

Call your local sign shop. I used to cut stencil masks for trucks. There is even a font in most sign packages that duplicates the old military stencil. The stencil will come on a piece of tape, just stick it down. You spray over the mask, let it dry, and peel the mask off. Most sign shops will do this reasonably cheaply.
Hmmm.....
I still have a sign making computer and plotter in the basement.....
Now all I need is the time to get it set up and operational again.
Yeah right....
And monkeys may fly out of my butt...
Who has time for anything any more??