• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Wet Kit ideas, Firewood hauling guys?

charger53

I installed a wet kit on my m923a2 with plans of adding a dump hoist soon, and running hydraulic lines to the back to power a dump trailer I am building..... I got to thinking about this today and hydraulic lines to the rear could be very handy for many projects... For example I have been pricing wood splitters and just realized how simple it would be to create one using the hydraulics from the wet kit... especially handy for the guys hauling firewood all the time. Another planned project for me is a rear mounted lift of sorts to move large round hay bales with the truck. I am sure I could come up with other things as time goes on. Any other thoughts? pros or cons?

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I'm sure you will run into the same problems with a wood splitter as I did running one with a tractor. It burns too much fuel.

If you cut and split quite a bit of wood, you can pay for a small engine powerplant with money you will save in fuel and wear and tear on the M923. Other hyd equipment will work great but not really economical for something that requires constant hyd for extended periods.

charger53

I didnt consider the fuel costs.... I suppose it would rack up pretty fast. Im thinking maybe building a universal mount similar to a 3 point on a tractor, then build attachments as necessity dictates.. I bet we come up with senpretty handy stuff though

eagle4g63

wreckerman that is the best thing I have seen since sliced bread.......man I could have used one of those this year.........10 tons of oak tree went through my house!!!!

CIH7777

I installed a wet kit on my m923a2 with plans of adding a dump hoist soon, and running hydraulic lines to the back to power a dump trailer I am building..... I got to thinking about this today and hydraulic lines to the rear could be very handy for many projects... For example I have been pricing wood splitters and just realized how simple it would be to create one using the hydraulics from the wet kit... especially handy for the guys hauling firewood all the time. Another planned project for me is a rear mounted lift of sorts to move large round hay bales with the truck. I am sure I could come up with other things as time goes on. Any other thoughts? pros or cons?
How did the wet kit install go for you? Did you use the existing PTO and Hyd. Pump or swap it out with another make/model? I am planning to do a wet kit myself on a M932A2 but I am concerned about getting enough gpm and psi to the rear hydrauilic outlets without spending a fortune. I have read several places that used concrete mixer hyd. pumps work great for this application and are pretty durable.

This is probably a newbie question since I never operated the winch or other wet kits on a M932, but can you run the wet kit/aux. hydraulics independant of the main tranny functions, like if I wanted to unload a feed wagon along a fenceline while the truck is moving and not having to stop and engage/disengage it constantly? That would be a cool option if it could be done somehow.

charger53

How did the wet kit install go for you? Did you use the existing PTO and Hyd. Pump or swap it out with another make/model? I am planning to do a wet kit myself on a M932A2 but I am concerned about getting enough gpm and psi to the rear hydrauilic outlets without spending a fortune. I have read several places that used concrete mixer hyd. pumps work great for this application and are pretty durable.

This is probably a newbie question since I never operated the winch or other wet kits on a M932, but can you run the wet kit/aux. hydraulics independant of the main tranny functions, like if I wanted to unload a feed wagon along a fenceline while the truck is moving and not having to stop and engage/disengage it constantly? That would be a cool option if it could be done somehow.
The wet kit was from a 900 series of some sort, probably from a truck with wench. I purchased it from a guy whom had purchased it from Eastern Surplus. It contained the PTO, Drive shaft, pump, wench control valve, tank, some hoses and the controls for pto and valve, and assorted brackets for the install. The install was fairly straight forward with the exception of installing the PTO, that was not a easy task. The PTO is a very tight squeeze between the trans and the frame and you will need to purchase the adapter to the trans line to feed the pto pressure lube. I will be installing the hoses, hoist, hinges, and rear hoses when I get a chance after the cylinders for the hoist come back from the rebuilder. The pto runs when the truck is in neutral or when the truck is in gear and moving as far as I can tell, I have not tried it while moving, but it does not run when in gear and stopped. You can not engage it while the truck is idling in neutral and I assume not while the truck is moving. I assume you could just start the pto while sitting still and operate your feed wagon from a hydraulic control valve with a bypass to return fluid to the tank when not feeding the hydraulics for the wagon, but I don't know if you would have enough flow from the military pump at idle speeds to run the wagon. I have not done any research on the pump specs, as I don't need a lot of flow to run the dumps.

I hope some of this helps you out, I will post a write up on the whole installation process if I ever get it finished. My time has been pretty limited lately.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks