• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

What axle is this?

civicnar

I think the front will be a 60 since it protrudes out that far but I may be wrong.

1978 3/4 TON 4X4 DODGE D200 CAB/CHASSIS, 8 CYL, GAS, AT, PS, PB,

civicnar

It's a 60 front and what rear. Also is this sixty one of the more deisreable or is it one of the weaker lower splined.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Shoudl have a 60R also but no pics, no guarantee. This 60F still has the 35 spline axles just has the external hubs that was so common on the Dodge.

civicnar

I am sorry for being such a noob but is this undesireable and will cause me problems or will it work well for some off road thrashing. Thanks

if it's a 60 front,it's likely to be a d-70 rear.look out for dodge axles with the small bolt pattern on the front...even if it's a sixty it could have the undesireable small wheel bearings.i can't recall exactly what year they appeared,but they are really weak,and won't take abuse.
you can pound on a d-70 all day,and more gears are available for that than a 14-bolt.the 14-bolt is really common though,and easier to fix and set up.

civicnar

RE: 70

Does anyone know the change over year for this. I am looking at quite a few but I want to make sure to get the right one.

McGuyver

I think Ambulancechser is confusing this with the full time Dana 44 front. It had the unit bearing setup that so many people criticize. The Dana 60F is a good axle and I don't think you have to worry about the bearings on it since it has a spaced out tapered bearing setup on a spindle like your part time four wheel drive axles have..
I'd jump at the chance to get a Dana 60F to put under the front of my truck. If I ever do the 5.9 liter Cummins swap, I'm going to need the beefier axle. :D

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Bob, the snow commander single cabs had 60F front axles for the most part. civicnar, the 61 was only a rear axle and is basically a Dana 60 with some internal changes to run a higher (numerically lower) gearset.

Elwenil

That looks to be a W200 chassis cab that was built as a fire truck of some sort. They are actually fairly common to have the D60 up front. More for the GVWR than anything I believe.

confused?

maybe....but no."unit" bearings didn't make an appearance in oem axles until adout '94.(at least in trucks) in dodge axles.on a w-200 it could well be a heavy duty d-44.the axle i'm referring to is a d-60-f with,believe it or not,a 5 bolt pattern.
it did not have unit bearings ,but had what amounts to a 44 sized hub.the bearings were small and closely spaced...not suitable to large tires.i think they made an appearance in about '75?they dissapeared in early 90's maybe?can't remember.

the d-61 is outwardly a d-60,but has a unique carrier.only 2-gear ratios are available,and no other d-60 carrier will swap in.lockers are not available for a d-61,iirc.
i'll try to ferret out the answers.

Elwenil

RE: confused?

If that has a D60 in it, grab it. It will be 30 spline with external drive flanges which can be swapped for Selectro hubs. It is a good kingpin axle with normal cone bearings and flat top knuckles perfect for a high steer setup.

As for the unit bearing deal, the term was coined for the odd wheel bearing setup on the 75-81 Dodge and Plymouth fullsize trucks with the D44 axle, both the 1/2 ton and 3/4 ton. The inner bearing was originally available separately but the outer was with the retainer. It is the size or the bearings and the overall design of the retainer that makes them so different from the more common dual cone bearing setup.

McGuyver

Thanks Elwenil. that is essentially what I meant. I realize that the term "unit bearing" is probably more appropriately used on the `94 and later hub bearing setups. I was just being sloppy and using the same term to describe the closely spaced bearing setup used on the full time FWD hub set up used on th Dana 44 front axles from `75 to `80(?) I realize that is not a strictly accurate term in this instance.

Elwenil

Eh, that's what we have used to describe that bearing setup for years, long before the BR series Rams were designed so as far as I am concerned that is the correct and most commonly accepted terminology.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks