• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

What did the M923/925 replace?

nklpltd

Hey guys...

I'm new to the site, but not to MV's. My deployed got me hooked on the big green. In Iraq i drove lots of 900's ( 923/925 armored and unarmored, 931's) as well as others Hemtt's, LMTV's and HMMWV's. Ever since i got on here, i found and love the look of the 800 series. I know the M923/925 replaced the M813 (thanks Clinto), but what exactly did they change?

Also here's a conversion idea, and i don't know if anyone has ever done it. I know they obviously changed a bit with a whole new series, 800 to 900. But has anyone ever taken a nicer 900 series but put an 800 series front end on it? I know the 900 is wider, by how much i don't know. It would be some major metal work, but i think it would be awesome.

It's something i want to do eventually after i get the personal motorpool started.

Finally i just have to say this site is AWESOME!!! I can't believe how much and how far people on this site are willing to go to help each other out in the pursuit of this hobby/addiction.

Last edited:

emr

it replaced the 800 series trucks,they are the ones with the long noses and 5 speed transes, at first built next to each other on the same assembly line, untill the last contract of the 8oo series 5 tons was completed, they have the same motor, , frame , axles , and many other components, in fact there was an upgrade to the 900,s that went to the fuel filter set up of the 800s, a bolt on item, so it was two instead of the big single, not all got it though, mine does not, they have a larger cab,wider, they have a tilt hood for greater access to the engine compartment , it is/was a chore to climb up on the 800,s they have an auto matic trans in place of the 5 speed , the old 5 speed was still used in the 800,s since they were gas motors, outdated for sure, and as for the Army, test show the training time and repair time on the 800 series drive trian was greatly reduced with the auto, the auto got a bad rap because of driver error, it os a very low greared reverse, 9to1 a D8 Cat is 6to1, in reverse, so if shifted with the R,s up the side shift trans would smash into the caseing and crack it, driver error, they are the first M series dtermined by the sergion general NOT to require hearing protection, the old 800,s and deuces are loud,very load,so it is basically the same vehicle though, those are facts so it replaces the 800 series, same motor new drive train, same axles and another big difference , the 900,s have a comercial style full air brake the 800 had the older type it shared with the deuces air over hydrolic, it means it is an air actuated regular ol hydrolic brake system, ...just the imiediate facts, it is the last of the mohicans , or one should say the last of the M series, now as U are aware of the newest cab overs, many opinions about them u may know of, but as for the facts they out performed the m series in all trials, some people have bad experiences with any type of vehicle, some make an opinion by the way one looks, the M series in my opinion and the Arm'y i would think as awesome as they were they are dinosours,...Randy

emr

oh the last of the 3 versions of the 900 series did have a motor change, about the same power just a more civilian type as the move to easier to get parts goes on in the military, and it is a cummins also, just a little smaller but has a turbo and about the same power, it is opinions mostly on what is/was better, they all work... the earlier 5 tons of the M series started out gas motors went to multi fuel then to the cummins, and it was that cummins that stayed into the 900s,fyi...Randy

nklpltd

Cool guys... thanks for getting me up to speed. In my guard unit we have quite a few M109 shop vans. In fact my platoon has 5. It's a total night and day difference. I'm assuming it's about that same type of difference between an 800 and 900.

emr

yea big difference, mostly in the height of the 900's when driving , and the LESS fatigue driving that auto , I LOVE mine, BUT I also LOVE my 800 with that big WINE from the low or too low geared trans for the motor, But that is one of the things i like about it, so as different as they can be, its is hard for me"opinion" to say one is better, depends on what one wants one for, to but the 800 is also MUCH cheaper in the hobby, and swinging that lONG hood of the 800 around turns with that load wine of the cummins over reving from the low geared trans is just about the coolest thing for me in any MV !!!! God I Love That oooh.....Randy

nklpltd

I've never driven an 800, but you're right you can drive the 900's for quite a long time. I've taken some on 14+ hr convoys as gun trucks with mastercraft racing seats and that definitely helped. The ps is soooo nice too over trucks without IE the 109s i've driven. I know there is a lot of debate on here, singles or doubles and in my opinion singles are totally the way to go. Especially over sandy rough terrain. Also i've heard alot of talk about the CTIS system. I've actually only driven 1 truck that it didn't work on. When it is working, it helps a TON!

nklpltd

I just think that it would be awesome to get the looks of the 800 with all the advantages of a 900. Hell you could even box the front end and still have a pivot forward hood. Might as well if you're going through all the work of widening a 800 front.

emr

yea the 800 sure is one great looking truck, I love my 900 but sometimes i think its ugly, and then some times i like it, I always think the 800's are beautiful !!!

nklpltd

Eventually my biggest goal is to take a 923, put an 800 front end, tilt forward with a suburban type back end on it... 4 doors, possibly using an old ambulance for the rear... Haven't quite worked out all the details, but that's the ultimate project on my list. I want to own several 900 series trucks, so converting 1 to look like an 800 would then let me have both.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks