• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

What do/can you tow with an M931A1?

Iron Mule

Will a "civilian" lowboy trailer hook up to these trucks or does it have to be military? Parked mine next to a KW road tractor today and was surprized at how much taller the MV is. I'd like to get a lowboy for mine and appreciate your opinions. I plan on hauling tractors, excavators and hay with mine.

ProPower

Yes, you can pull any civilian trailer but I'd recommend changing out the fifth wheel to the civilian one! Its about a 200$ mod but it will sit about 5'' lower.

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
You'll have to deal with the 24v light issue towing a civilian trailer. Easiest thing would be to either change out the bulbs to 24v on the trailer if it's dedicated to the M931 or go with the dual voltage LEDs if the trailer will still be pulled by a civilian truck from time to time.

A regular civilian trailer will sit high in the front if you don't change out the 5th wheel.

wreckerman893

Possum Connoisseur
You will have to fab up an electrical connection and run auxillary lights or put 24 volt bulbs in the trailer lights. There are converter boxes available but they may be expensive or hard to find. The 5th wheel will accept most civilian trailers and there is an adaptor available to pull small gooseneck trailers. The gladhands will work just fine. Some trailers have weird kingpin distances from the front of the trailer that might cause problems but that is usually with very old ones.

bbuck7777

Don't even know it is back there! Have to be real careful. The trailer only weighs 10k and is no match for the weight of truck or brakes. Don't even use the trailer brakes. Just got it end of the boating season last year and only spent one weekend playing with it. This summer will know more, but already it is great in the sand that is around our lake.

ke5eua

I don't mean to revive a year old thread but I got to get a follow up on the 5th wheel pull.

I have heard that pulling a 5th wheel camper with a semi, especially a spring ride semi can wreak havoc on the king pin box and possibly cause damage to welds.

With it being a year since you got it, how does it hold up.

Also, is it a stock 931 or did you change the 5th wheel to a civi one, and did you have to pull the 5th wheel back any to guarantee clearance?

Michael
KE5EUA

bbuck7777

Michael,

I can't really say how it holds up over the long term. I sold the stock 931 last month after only towing about 6 times for maybe 40 miles total from storage to beach. It did great for what I used it for. No issues. I just used the stock 5th wheel and moved it back about 30" so rear wheels would have more clearance. I also removed the 1" frame stiffners to reduce height. It still was a little higher than I wanted and had to be careful that I did not drag the back of the trailer.

Bill

ke5eua

Thank you. I'm looking at getting a 931A2 and I was always wondering about pulling a 5th wheel camper with one. I think I would change the kingpin box to an air ride one if I did it more often though just for comfort on the trailer.

Again, sorry for raising the dead.

Michael
KE5EUA

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
No need to apologize for replying to a old thread. It's actually encouraged over starting a new thread.

319cssb

There is no other reply to this so I think this thread is dead?
I got offered a 5th wheel RV and would pull it with a M931A1

Last edited:

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
How is that a 5th wheel RV?
The OP asked what do and can you tow with a 931. Actually wanting to tow a lowboy. Not an RV. But that shows what they can pull easily enough.

Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks