• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

What do you think? A different idea for a radio install

86M10086.2L

I finally decided to be saranaded by something other than the 6.2. So I installed a CD player in my truck. However not wanting to cut up the dash lead me to take a different route. I needed some type of console. But wanting to be a little different I used something a little cooler to make my little radio console. It may have been done before but I haven't seen this type of console used before or since I got my truck and I'm real happy with the way it turned out. I used four speakers in the dash like a civy truck would have and a CD player I salvaged from a 88 Jimmy I scrapped. Also to keep up with the stealthiness of the install I have the antenna mounted in the open space between the interior and outer skin of the cab by the gun racks and suprisingly it gets decent reception. Here are a few quick pics of the setup. I'l try to get a better finished picture when the sun goes down later this evening. The picture with glare does not do it justice.

Attachments

AJMBLAZER

Nice.

Last year IRWFO put one in one of those cold food cans. He had a 1009 though so it became his center console.

Got any pics of the antenna? Still contemplating what to do with mine, it just hangs from the sun visor now.

86M10086.2L

I'll try to get some pictures of the antenna. Just keep in mind for this to work, the seat has to be all the way back. Otherwise you can fit the can in but you can't open or close the can. You would also have to use some sort of outside braket to secure the can. This way you can open and close it so it's still somewhat useable, and it can be bolted down from the inside. I was originally going to use a ammo can mount as well, but as said earlier there's not enough room. This setup worked out great and will also provide me a foundation to make and mount a much needed cup holder to. It was a little more work than you would think. The cover of the ammo can is two ply which makes it a little harder to cut, and I had to do some creative work to place the radio on the cover in a spot that kept the seal entact and kept the handle on so as not to lose the cans original image. Still very doable. Most of my time got eaten up staightening up my seat tracks which I had no idea were bent and not alowing my seat to go all the way back. In the future I may mount switches for off road lights and if I get one, the control box for a gear vendors unit. But for now I'm just enjoying it for what it is and I quite happy with the way it came out.

Elwenil

Agreed, most of today's head units have high power amplifiers and generate a lot of heat. Being sealed in that can is not going to make it last very long. I'd consider putting in a small 12V fan in the bottom of the case, vented to the outside air. You can use PC case fans, they work pretty well.

Flea

Following on Elwenil's note, a fan and a nice case screen can be had very cheap over at newegg.com

I get a lot of stuff through them for work.

CompoundCuckVee

That's a damn good idea! I've been trying to find an old head unit skinny enough to fit on the ashtray door in my m1009. I figured it would be cool to be able to fold it into the dash. I think I like the 5.56 box better. As for the cooling issue, the computer tower fans I've got are a little big, about 5"x5" but They might have come down in size since I switched to apple a few years ago. i haven't hacked apart a PC in a long time.

You think a bigger ammo can would make a good console? It might be nice to have some cupholders. Oddly enough I've never owned a car with any.

-Matt

AJMBLAZER

Good luck finding a head unit that small.

Do a search for radio or stereo and a user name of IRWFO. Guy was posting on here about a year or two ago and had a M1009 that he put a radio in an interesting "center console". Had a bunch of pictures of it too.

CompoundCuckVee said:
That's a dang good idea! I've been trying to find an old head unit skinny enough to fit on the ashtray door in my m1009. I figured it would be cool to be able to fold it into the dash. I think I like the 5.56 box better. As for the cooling issue, the computer tower fans I've got are a little big, about 5"x5" but They might have come down in size since I switched to apple a few years ago. i haven't hacked apart a PC in a long time.

You think a bigger ammo can would make a good console? It might be nice to have some cupholders. Oddly enough I've never owned a car with any.

-Matt

Elwenil

Computer case fans come in a variety of sizes. I have seen some as small as 1.5" in diameter and some as large as 200mm. Mine are 120mm, which are good sized but would be overkill in a box that small. Be aware that if you put a fan in one end, you will need vents in the other end to pull the air through.

86M10086.2L

well, right now I have several vents drilled into the front and rear of the can so air can easily pass trough the can. I'm trying not to hack up the can to much. I want to preserve the look of it as much as possible. That being said I will be installing some guarded toggle switches for off road lights/fog lights. And when I get my gear vendors unit the control panel will be mounted in the cover too. If it turns out to be a problem though, I will look into istalling a cooling fan. The only problem I'm having so far is I can't get AM stations at all. Any thoughts?

AJMBLAZER

AM stations are harder to receive than FM. My truck has the same sort of issue but I can get our local AM station. However some of the others that my home stereo and the stereos in the wife and my DD's get it can not. Just needs a better antenna placement.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks