• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

What does a jeep cost Uncle Sam?

rmvivas

Appearantly $2,133.

In addition to collecting US arms and accoutrements, I also collect photos of them in use. I remembered that I had a good M1911A1 photo that included a jeep with a motivational/warning stencil.

Note that the shirt is a Korean era woolen shirt. Officer US insignia on holster flap. On the original photo you can make out the tire data molded into the rubber.

I dont recognize the logo at the bottom of the stencil. First thought was it was the UN logo, but under -close- examination it looks like a unit logo, I think a Transport Btn.

Anyway, enjoy!

Attachments

Last edited:

FrankUSMC

Clinto
Both jeeps are M38A1s, maybe yours was a later one and costing more. They did have a long production run.
My first halftrack also had a "cost" stencil on it.
One of the few, Frank USMC RET

eagle4g63

Just a side question? Not trying to side step the post, but noticed the grab handle on Clinto's picture.....is that the same size for use on a deuce dash? It would be the only thing I could see the 2 holes by the glove box would be for.

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
Clinto
Both jeeps are M38A1s, maybe yours was a later one and costing more. They did have a long production run.
My first halftrack also had a "cost" stencil on it.
One of the few, Frank USMC RET
Oh, I wish it was mine but they want about $6K too much for it. I took it off a website where it's for sale. Claimed to be completely unrestored, with radios.

So I don't know anything about it other than the stencils claiming to be original military markings.

Just a side question? Not trying to side step the post, but noticed the grab handle on Clinto's picture.....is that the same size for use on a deuce dash? It would be the only thing I could see the 2 holes by the glove box would be for.
Deuces never came with a grab bar like that, but I am sure you could use it. You can find them used and I think reproduced in various places.

I think you'd end up having to drill through one or two of the data plates to mount it in a deuce.

Dodge man

Take a look at this thread http://www.willysmjeeps.com/v2/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=4236. He shows the original paperwork from when his 1953 M38A1 was returned in 1965 to be modified.On it they show the costs as $8700! I don't know that was original 1953 costs or 1965 replacement costs. Also don't know if this included the radio system but I don't think it does since the paper word was to return the Jeep to have the radio added.

BTW this Jeep is identical to mine.