• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

What fuel for 404?

Mercunimog404

Banned
I've been on there a few times but unfortunately that site will just not load for me. I don't know if it's my computer or the site but it is the only site that I ever went on that takes about 5 minutes to load a single page, meaning it would take me a good 1/2 hour just to get to the unimog section before even starting a search.

So if the vapor lock is caused by the fuel heating up, what does an electric pump do? It certainly doesn't cool the fuel. I'm assuming it gets the fuel to the carb faster than the mechanical pump and with more pressure so the fuel doesn't get a chance to vaporize.
The site is funky sometimes. The electric fuel pump pressurized the fuel in the line. I remember seeing an option sheet for 404s one time. Mercedes offered an additional pump from the factory for hot climates.

tennmogger

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The site is funky sometimes. The electric fuel pump pressurized the fuel in the line. I remember seeing an option sheet for 404s one time. Mercedes offered an additional pump from the factory for hot climates.
Mercunimog404, great info! Maybe that electric pump was why MB put the extra little drain plug in one tank?

saddamsnightmare

December 18th, 2015.

Not picky? The ethanol up here has eaten carburetor rubber seals, corroded the float needle, eaten the valve stem seals,eaten the electric fuel pumps that replaced the mechanical MB fuel pumps that were eaten up by the stuff.... If you ask the MB Engineers they will tell you that the M180 Gas engine was never designed to handle ethanol in the gas.

A truck that never acted up in Texas (where ethanol was then unknown), has never not acted up when it was up here in Illinois.... Good luck. The next one's going to be a U1300L. I know what my particular truck has done, the only way to get them to run is premium gas (ethanol free), and as I ran the truck 4500-6500 miles a year, that wasn't feasible.

Good luck, be prepared.:(

Karl kostman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I ran my 404 for 2 years great rigs an you will enjoy it very much! When I got mine I went through the fuel system and rebuilt the fuel pump because it was old and was failing, after the rebuild I ran non ethanol fuel for a bit and then switched to running regular gasoline with 10% ethanol purchased at the pump, I ran it for about 1.5 years with never a problem, its kind of like tennmoger said the LOW compression ratios of this motor do not dictate any octane levels higher than what is easily available at the pump!
Great truck and all i can say is have fun and DONT BE IN A HURRY!!!!!
Karl

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks