• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

what has broken and how did it happen ?

olly hondro

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I'd like to compile a list of "events" of broken stuff and the cause. I have not broken anything on the Blazer, yet, though the fenders have shown self trimming properties from the tires :)

Another guy I ride with has had rear u-joint failure caused by axle wrap. Ladder bars fixes that.

I hear that 400 HP + 44 inch tires + cheap beer causes stuff to break.

Your thoughts ?

dmetalmiki

Tow bar failed, broke safety chains. I did for a moment wonder who the crazy guy was trying to overtake on a country bend!. OOPS! that's ours!. No problem (fortunately) strong jury rig, and off we went again. Arrived home safe.

MWMULES

Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
Rear window, was carrying my M1030B1 and at 35mph on a tight country road came around corner to find a low water bridge posted at 5mph with a dip in the middle. Handle bar took it out on the third clunk!
001.jpg

MWMULES

Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
They are fun, I now have a M1030 which is a 250 lot more fun and a lot lighter than the 650. 001.jpg

Gunfighter1

Fuel return lines leaked from old age. Got some new ones from fleabay and they sucked to, cracked and split after a year so replaced them again. Fuel filter also leaked when i bumped it changing my heater core. Pretty common i guess just put a new filter on. Will go to a spin on filter one of these years. Mainly little stuff like speedo cables and shift indicators nothing major yet, knock on wood!

olly hondro

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Cracked frame at the steering box, again. More reinforcement. Ultimate fix will be conversion to hydrostatic steering, next time I have $1600 laying around :)

dmetalmiki

Tow bar failed, broke safety chains. I did for a moment wonder who the crazy guy was trying to overtake on a country bend!. OOPS! that's ours!. No problem (fortunately) strong jury rig, and off we went again. Arrived home safe.
Since recieving an email message as to which towbar and why it failed. That was because For once I forgot to CHECK the SETUP safety chains and airlines after a helper had fitted them. The end attachments ( to the bumper)were upside down, and of course one fractured, leaving co control of the flat towed M45 fire unit we had just acquired. It was the shorter M62 wrecker "A" bar.

Kaiserjeeps

I just discovered my TH400 case is cracked all the way around exactly as Speddmon's did in his 700R4 conversion thread. It's junk and the crack is identical. 1985 M1008 with a 205 transfer case and a flat bed conversion. It was converted at some time of it's life in the forest service in WA state and is a M1008 to start with. I checked. My mounts were jellied and that is about the only similarity. As usual, not very good timing. Is this a problem with these trucks? This thread should be interesting.

badassissimo

Trying to figure out the formatting... Thought is was a suggested math problem format. Bad thing + Bad thing = Suggested fix in the end

jpg

I have 2 failures that leave me wondering. They happened to others, causing them to have to replace engines, but I don't know how to prevent them.

One was a head gasket failure that leaked coolant into the crankcase. The bottom of the engine seized. I'm not sure how you detect that in time to save your engine, or how you prevent it. New head gaskets every 30 years, perhaps? How do you detect a sudden influx of coolant into your oil while driving?

Another was a CUCV with a GearVendor overdrive. The speedometer cable failed, causing the GV unit to downshift at interstate speeds, causing the engine to over-rev and the crankshaft to break. This seriously reduced my interest in a GV unit. I guess the engine's governor throttled back, but the wheels were driving the engine due to the sudden downshift.

Most other failures I know of involved failure to do the SS-recommended mods and/or the PMCS. Self-inflicted failures like those I know how to avoid, I think.

Robin Craig

I have some many, you make me feel old.

I was driving a CVR(T) Spartan when it threw a rod out of the block and shredded the oil pan. I was dong about 25 mph on a road at the time.

Clouds of black smoke right beside me. Very spectacular, also very mind focusing and a heck of a lot of rattling.

I was on the I/C to the crew commander to abandon vehicle, which he did in text book style only after the vehicle stopped and not before. He departed clear quick sharp. I threw battery master and got clear after hand brake ratcheted on in record time.

We only went back with extinguishers in hand after smoke subsided.

Was very glad that crew commander and I had a drill worked out.

Moral of the tale, no oil pressure gauge and a supposed "no oil pressure" problem that the owner ignored doomed me. His engine not mine, did not like the learning curve.

Robin

Robin Craig

Towing a Land Rover 90 with a Dodge 3500 dually on a slightly snow covered road using a set of A bars, at the bottom of a small hill with a sharp turn the Land Rover did not have enough grip with the road and tried to push the dually into the ditch rather than follow it around the corner.

Instantly slapped it in 4wd and gave it a small amount of throttle and pulled it around the corner and stopped the jack knife.

Moral, dont A frame on snow or very wet roads when load cant grip to follow.

Robin

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks