• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

What is a non running Hobart G204 Gen/Welder worth?

MARCO1031

I recently purchased an M1031 Contact Maintenance Truck with the G204 Hobart Genset still in it. The unit shows 56 hours on the clock but is not running. It has the 4 cyl Wisconsin. The engine is missing the rotor, distributor cap, and plug wires. Otherwise the engine looks complete. I have not tried to turn it over yet, the oil was drained prior to auction. The generator is missing the overspeed control and a couple of other electrical parts but I would say it is 98% complete. I am trying to decide if putting the time and money into this is worth it. I really don't need a welder so I will probably pull the unit out of the truck regardless. Is there anyone out there that really wants one of these? Let me know your thoughts. I will try to post some pics tomorrow afternoon. Thanks.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I was going to get one from Jim Henry for my truck. He wanted $800 for a runner but I hear parts are hard to find. Depending on what the price is, I may be interested as I'm a glutton for punishment, then again.........

LanceRobson

The engine parts are readily available. We've got Wisconsin engines that are 70 years old and have no problems getting parts. The V4s, like nearly all Wisconsin engines are very well built. Keep the oil clean and make sure it has plenty of cooling air and clean screens on the cooling house so it won't overheat and it'll last forever.

I can't speak to the welder/generator end but Hobart had documentation etc for a 1942 Navy generator we were working on a few years back. From my limited experience with them, they are pretty good at supporting older equipment.

Whether it is worth repairing will depend on how much you are going to use it.

I'd like to have one. I wonder if there's a way to send it north on the SS underground railroad?

Which engine model is it? Send me a PM with a price, please.

Lance

GoHot229

Just an idea, but you might find parts At places that sell and repair Grout Pumps, you know the pumps that pump concrete on constuction sites from Cement trucks. There were so many variations of motors used in them, so stuff like the govoner and Dist cap and points and cables and etc, etc might be found there. They used alot of different brand motors like Onan, Wisconson and many different stationary motors

Attachments

Last edited:

MARCO1031

I know these engines are tough. We had one on a New Holland Swather when I was a kid. That thing ran and ran. Lance, thanks for the information on Hobart. I will check into parts and see what I can get. Maybe I can get the beastie running again :-D. I'm kind of a glutton for punishment too.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks