• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

What is a prep side cover (or a feeding side cover) and does it attach to an MKT?

flyfishtrailer

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have seen a few of these up for sale on auctions, but have never been able to find any data (other than the nsn number and its description). In the auction info, it has said for mobile military kitchens, but I have not found a TM anything that indicates what it attaches to. Any help (and pictures would be awesome) or literature (or links) would be greatly appreciated.

warrior7r

I have seen a few of these up for sale on auctions, but have never been able to find any data (other than the nsn number and its description). In the auction info, it has said for mobile military kitchens, but I have not found a TM anything that indicates what it attaches to. Any help (and pictures would be awesome) or literature (or links) would be greatly appreciated.
These are the soft sided tenting for the MKT (Mobile Kitchen Trailers series 78-99). Sorry let me expand on this a little bit you're not going to find it in the TM it is a depot level repair when the tarps can no longer be fixed on the MKT. It's not one of supplemental tarps it needs to go to Depot to have it stripped off and replaced as it is one great big assembly that literally goes over the top and then gets slides into the rails along the roof frame it's not several different sections and it's not two pieces it is one unified piece that has to be threaded on to the rails embedded in the MKT s roof assembly so this repair is in-depth and done at a higher level maint activity, and as such it actually falls under a Depo level manual (4/40) which is nearly impossible to come by unless you have access to ETM's or LOGSA since I retired a couple of years ago I no longer have that access but I think I may have the ETM for it somewhere but seeing as it's a major assembly component it is fun to put it mildly to try to install it by yourself on an MKT ⁹that's missing it getting off is not a problem you just run a knife down it and pull it off the rails however putting it back on it is an adventure. I've had to do it to one MKT that I own and now I have a second one to find an install and I am not looking forward to it I have a Emergency Management Company that has three MKT and 1 Containerized Kitchen so my third one we just got a couple weeks ago and it's stripped bare of all fabric so we have to go through the adventure of put installing it all over again.

Last edited:

flyfishtrailer

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Okay so if I am following you correctly, it is replacement cover for the kitchen roof section that slides into the grooves along all four edges of the roof assembly and is supported by the poles?

flyfishtrailer

Steel Soldiers Supporter
These are the soft sided tenting for the MKT (Mobile Kitchen Trailers series 78-99). Sorry let me expand on this a little bit you're not going to find it in the TM it is a depot level repair when the tarps can no longer be fixed on the MKT. It's not one of supplemental tarps it needs to go to Depot to have it stripped off and replaced as it is one great big assembly that literally goes over the top and then gets slides into the rails along the roof frame it's not several different sections and it's not two pieces it is one unified piece that has to be threaded on to the rails embedded in the MKT s roof assembly so this repair is in-depth and done at a higher level maint activity, and as such it actually falls under a Depo level manual (4/40) which is nearly impossible to come by unless you have access to ETM's or LOGSA since I retired a couple of years ago I no longer have that access but I think I may have the ETM for it somewhere but seeing as it's a major assembly component it is fun to put it mildly to try to install it by yourself on an MKT ⁹that's missing it getting off is not a problem you just run a knife down it and pull it off the rails however putting it back on it is an adventure. I've had to do it to one MKT that I own and now I have a second one to find an install and I am not looking forward to it I have a Emergency Management Company that has three MKT and 1 Containerized Kitchen so my third one we just got a couple weeks ago and it's stripped bare of all fabric so we have to go through the adventure of put installing it all over again.
Okay so if I am following you correctly, it is replacement cover for the kitchen roof section that slides into the grooves along all four edges of the roof assembly and is supported by the poles?

warrior7r

Absolutely correct if your needing to install it the best way is by removing the roof with an overhead hoist or an excavator with straps and laying it in the middle of the side prep that has been layed out. Once it installed roll and tie up all 4 side and lift it back up onto the MKT. Sorry about the earlier post I was using voice to text.

Last edited:

flyfishtrailer

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I don't have one yet, and mine is okay for now, just was trying to figure out what I could about them as I see them come up at auctions much more often than side curtains. I know they are no longer making MKT's as they have moved to the containerized kitchens. Might look for one to have as a spare though. Thanks you for the information.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks