• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

What is the value of an M109 Shop Van Body

BAZYRKYR

What you paid for the truck w/box was not far off the latest GL prices. They've gone over $4000 at auction several times lately because there are so few left. I don't believe you were taken advantage of, so don't beat yourself up.

The box by itself is not all that valuable, but it can add $1000-1500 to the price of a M109 truck (M35) without a box. If I were closer and had an extra M35A2 or -A3, I'd gladly pay $1000 if you could mount it on my truck. IMHO, it's worth $500 or less if I have pay to haul it and mount it myself.

Keep it as a spare in case you go under a low bridge or limb, and use it as a shed in the meantime for your spare tires and MV parts.
I would help with the removal and installation...I'd even line up a piece of equipment to do it for a thousand. Its just I'm not an expert by any means, I've never done it before, and I have some physical limitation. So I need an extra body to help. That's why I said me and the person could do it. Honestly I was hoping for $500 for it by the time all is said and done how ever it gets done.

Last edited:

zout

Honestly I was hoping for $500 for it by the time all is said and done how ever it gets done.

WOW -0 awesome - great time to donate to SS site to post a classified ad by donating $15 a year to become a member to post something for sale.[/COLO

BAZYRKYR

Just a mention - to see its worthwhile to SS for someone to Pay for a membership for a year to sell - if the box was for sale - this would be a great place to donate to SS plus sell now that you know what its worth - just a note. I just know its not a way to bypass a membership fee.

The module trailer flooring I get wholesale - it took me exactly one weekend in my spare time to pull and replace it. That was also burnishing off all the mid to top of the crossmembers and bedliner coating them before install of the floor . the floor was also coated and sealed and then spray bedliner coated from below.

All in all time wise - roughly 9 1/2 hrs - there are folks who remember it so they know its no BS.
That's exactly why paid for my membership before I even posted the question of its worth. I'm a fair man...and not trying to bypass anything. However...I did want to find out what its worth before I listed it (nobody likes folks who think their stuff is worth more than it is and I was not about to over price it) and I needed the advice because I was unsure of whether or not I should part it out or sell it as is. As of yet I have not decided what to as I've not had time to think about it because I have been responding to all the reply's.

In regard to how you redid your floor...that sounds exactly like how I was going to do it. Using under coat/bed-liner is definitely the way to do it. As far as the time...that's fast in my book. It would take me probably twice that.

zout

109 boxes are awesome and seeing what folks have done to them in the past few years is awesome.

There was a member here from the Canadian group M109Guy who had really fabbed his as well. You should look him up under the membership and check his stuff all out - I deleted my entire build so there is nothing to look at unless I just feel like posting it or or you come to the rally and sneek into my truck for some cherries.

Morgans redid their entire skin on theirs (will be at the rally)
Maccus - has an awesome powered unit now with a fantastic box and interior

Couple members out of FL have fantastic interiors as well and have done spectacular work to theirs - you really need to come to the rally here in Ga -

BAZYRKYR

Honestly I was hoping for $500 for it by the time all is said and done how ever it gets done.

WOW -0 awesome - great time to donate to SS site to post a classified ad by donating $15 a year to become a member to post something for sale.

Well Zout...its like I said before. I am a paying member. I paid before I even posted a question of what it was worth to avoid those sort of comments. The purpose of this thread was to ascertain its value before I posted it for sale and determine whether to sell it as is or part it out. It just so happens that folks asked me what I was hoping to get out of it and I was not about to ignore them or tell them to piss off. I will have a formal listing if I decide to sell it to an SS member and that is if I decide to do that at all. I may part it out...in which case there will be tons of listings. But regardless of how it plays out I have paid my yearly due already.

zout

And - I really hope the best in what you decide to do to make your 109 - pretty much why I added some members names so you could look up their stuff for ideas when you decide to build. Their stuff is awesome to get ideas from.

if you paid or did not pay - I am just a peon member - whatever I type is just an opinion and means nothing.

BAZYRKYR

109 boxes are awesome and seeing what folks have done to them in the past few years is awesome.

There was a member here from the Canadian group M109Guy who had really fabbed his as well. You should look him up under the membership and check his stuff all out - I deleted my entire build so there is nothing to look at unless I just feel like posting it or or you come to the rally and sneek into my truck for some cherries.

Morgans redid their entire skin on theirs (will be at the rally)
Maccus - has an awesome powered unit now with a fantastic box and interior

Couple members out of FL have fantastic interiors as well and have done spectacular work to theirs - you really need to come to the rally here in Ga -
I've been checking out as many SS members M109RV's as possible to get Idea. I looked your threads up because everyone seems to mention yours in a lot of the M109RV threads. There is a guy out in California who has a really nice M109RV. He had a great site but he just shut it down. It really sucks too.

zout

Honestly mine really sucks even tho we did two of them almost identical within a years time - there is no way in H** I would do that again.

WHY - with a deuce and half you only have so much available power - HOP - Torque etc etc etc. We overbuilt these units to where they can hardly pull their arse out of neutral and reason I would love my hands on an M931 - M932 and do some real building - then I could get a lowboy and pull 43 and wifes jeep all in one and still have power left over.

Need to look up Maccus build - he did this and this is where my idea came from - need to look up M109Guy from Canada - this is where I totally got the first idea to build. Need to Look up MDMorgans - story after story and build after build to help you out.

Not off on a wrong foot with each other - just a better understanding of what YOU want in the end with your MV. Here to help.

BAZYRKYR

What you paid for the truck w/box was not far off the latest GL prices. They've gone over $4000 at auction several times lately because there are so few left. I don't believe you were taken advantage of, so don't beat yourself up.

The box by itself is not all that valuable, but it can add $1000-1500 to the price of a M109 truck (M35) without a box. If I were closer and had an extra M35A2 or -A3, I'd gladly pay $1000 if you could mount it on my truck. IMHO, it's worth $500 or less if I have pay to haul it and mount it myself.

Keep it as a spare in case you go under a low bridge or limb, and use it as a shed in the meantime for your spare tires and MV parts.
You know...the more I think about it you would think they are worth more even in the shape mine is in (which is not terrible...I was going to replace the floor and re-panel the inside) because as you said they are getting harder to find, more costly when you do and the M109A4's are way more expensive and you are less likely to find a nice box pulled off of one. I can't believe I found the box I did this morning. I had been looking for about 6 months. It is in AWESOME shape and it's off of a 1998 M109A3.

BAZYRKYR

Honestly mine really sucks even tho we did two of them almost identical within a years time - there is no way in H** I would do that again.

WHY - with a deuce and half you only have so much available power - HOP - Torque etc etc etc. We overbuilt these units to where they can hardly pull their arse out of neutral and reason I would love my hands on an M931 - M932 and do some real building - then I could get a lowboy and pull 43 and wifes jeep all in one and still have power left over.

Need to look up Maccus build - he did this and this is where my idea came from - need to look up M109Guy from Canada - this is where I totally got the first idea to build. Need to Look up MDMorgans - story after story and build after build to help you out.

Not off on a wrong foot with each other - just a better understanding of what YOU want in the end with your MV. Here to help.
Yeah...they do lack power even with a turbo (mines a D turbo) and exactly why I do not want to over build. She crawls up steep hills as it is. 10-15 mph on the REALLY bad ones...like on the way to jcappels place. That drive got scary. I thought I was going to drift backwards which is exactly why I'm getting my tranny & breaks checked out by my mechanic very soon. All the important stuff that can be life altering or life ending I have him work on...he does it for my entire family. I tell ya...I am glad to be getting the new shop body because even though I'm having to change plans I feel it will be better in the long run and actually cost less. I was hoping to have it done by the elections but my little brother destroyed that opportunity for me and put me a year behind on my preps and my truck. But that's family for ya aua. Though it will never...EVER...happen again.

Awesome Possum

From what I understand its only a few bolts that hold it on so it shouldn't be too bad with a two man crew (ie. Me and who ever wants it) and a large fork lift and some straps. My last...and least favorable option...is that C&C will swap the boxes and keep my old one plus an additional $50. If I can get $500 for the van body it will REALLY help with the cost of the M109A3 Shop Body, M105A2, and S-250G deals I just worked out. Plus I wanna clean up the frame and have it undercoated because I'm having C&C undercoat the 1998 shop van body before they mount it.
I swapped out my regular bed for a 109 box mounted. I forget what I paid for it (or I'm desperately trying to suppress it!) Hated it because it didn't ride well on the super singles, and was full of hidden rust. Also we decided to do a Bob on it.
Yeah, you can get it off with a forklift, but then you have to move it to wherever it goes. I tried to sell or trade it and it always came down to how the people would get it onto the ground in one piece, and it was never worth the cost.
Moving it to my land just wasn't worth it to use it as a shed. We ended up stripping out the windows, light bulbs, and wood floor. Then ran it down to the metal yard, removed the last two bolts, and they gave me about 300 bucks for it. Made a bit on the aluminum in the windows. Just my $.02 worth.

Kohburn

another marylander - where in MD? (always goog to know when you have green truck help nearby) I'm near solomons island (or pax river NAS)

SCSG-G4

PSVB 3003
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Somebody in today's auction thinks an M109 was worth $4200 with GL fee and sales tax. And a dropside M35 with no doors on the cab was worth $3300. Kinda makes the $1270 I spent on my last M109 was a good investment.

BAZYRKYR

Somebody in today's auction thinks an M109 was worth $4200 with GL fee and sales tax. And a dropside M35 with no doors on the cab was worth $3300. Kinda makes the $1270 I spent on my last M109 was a good investment.

At auction...That's funny considering I just listed mine in the Classifieds for $4750. I just put a really nice hardtop on it that I spent $500 on and a Springer seat. I started to clean out the back for the RV conversion too.

LowTech

Steel Soldiers Supporter
There is a guy out in California who has a really nice M109RV. He had a great site but he just shut it down. It really sucks too.
That's the guy in Canada, M109guy. So Zout's info has been lost to us for awhile and now M109guys site is down, . . . are we going into the dark ages?

BAZYRKYR

That's the guy in Canada, M109guy. So Zout's info has been lost to us for awhile and now M109guys site is down, . . . are we going into the dark ages?

Yeah....I meant Canada. LOL...I was visualizing the website name in my mind and ".ca" made me think of California. I understand why he took it down though. He says he paid for it for years but did not get enough income from it to support it. Its a shame because I just came across his site recently and had only been to it a handful of times. At least I still remember many of the things he did. I just listed my truck for sale in the SS Classifieds so I can buy a newer one but if it doesn't sell soon I'm just gonna suck it up and just finish it and keep it forever because if I lose any more than the $1600 I'm gonna lose selling it and all the parts for $5000 I might as well keep it.

Attachments