• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

What is this rod I'm missing

Ecurb

I have been looking a lot of pics on line as I'm trying to make my M38A1 better looking. I have noticed in a lot of pics of the engine compartment that there is a rod hooked to the motor mount as in this pic circled in red , what is this rod called and where does the other end hook? And where might I find one? Thanks, Brucebrace.jpg

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
It is called the rod, support, left and rod, support, right. (shown in the ORD 9 parts catalog) It hooks to a slot in the bottom sides of the radiator. It captures the radiator when you do a "wet pull", which is change out the power pack (engine, trans, transfer). Call around to the numerous army jeep parts suppliers, someone with have a pair.

Ecurb

Thanks NDT, You guys are great!!! So, I have time to look for them, I was really hoping that they were not something I really had to have!!! Sounds like running without them won't hurt as I'm not planning a "wet plull" soon! Thanks again.

What year is your M38A1? I have a 52 A1 and it only has the lowers and no uppers. If you have an early A1 it does not have them. The later A1's do have the upper support rods. and after editing and doing a little more reading........its the lowers! HA! Where's Radar when you need him.......lol

Last edited:

Ecurb

My A1 is a 1955 it has the upper support rods,but those come off when you pull motor as they hook to cowl in back,these rods would stay attached when you pulled motor and rad together as a unit.Hence the term "wet pull", after NDT wrote back to me I looked in manual TM 9-8014 fiqure 59 shows a wet pull. I see in there they just refer to them as "Front Mounting Support Cushion Assy" So I couldn't find anywhere that any vendor was selling the whole assy, everyone just seems to have just the motor mount, thats why I ask what they were called and where I could get them. Someday I may find them. Bruce