• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

What size is the crown nut holding the pintle?

TOBASH

Father, Surgeon, Cantankerous Grouch
Steel Soldiers Supporter
What size is the large crown nut screwed to the pintle. The really large one.

I was told incorrectly that it is 1 and 3/4. That size socket will not fit so I'm out 50 clams.

Before I purchase another I would like to see what the real size is. I need to transfer the pintle to the pintle extension I am placing on the airlift bum,per.

1987 M1025A1

Thanks In Advance,

T

Action

What size is the large crown nut screwed to the pintle. The really large one.

I was told incorrectly that it is 1 and 3/4. That size socket will not fit so I'm out 50 clams.

Before I purchase another I would like to see what the real size is. I need to transfer the pintle to the pintle extension I am placing on the airlift bum,per.

1987 M1025A1

Thanks In Advance,

T
mine is
1.85"
47 mm

remove the cotter pin, clean the threads and unscrew it. It should not be on there tight, unless rusted.

frank8003

In Memorial
In Memorial
"That size socket will not fit so I'm out 50 clams. "

Is they, |We, Him, Us, not allowed to do that anymore?

Everything you would like to know about your vehicle is in the TM,s
Ask Me, I can navigate thru Tm quick like with all the pictures and absolute particulars

TOBASH

Father, Surgeon, Cantankerous Grouch
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thanks one and all.

I appreciate all the feedback as I was unsure about TM having this info.

RWH, I thank you for the idea about the pipe wrench. I’m like you, but about tools. You usually say when you need a part get the proper part. I usually say when you need a tool, get the proper tool.

I bought and used a 1-7/8 1/2 inch drive impact socket. I had prelubricated the crown nut two or three days ago. The rusted spindle tried to resist, then gave way. I think a pipe wrench might not have worked as I had no leverage with the rear short small bumper off the rig.

Best,

T

Lothar

I see you have resolved the issue but I wanted to share a trick I use often at work to mearsure diameters 20210518_195630.jpgor in this case the size of a large nut. Maybe in the future it will come in handy. By placing 2 squares as shown, you can slide them to fit like a caliper and as long as the bottom edges remain in the same line, you can get a pretty accurate measurement.

Retiredwarhorses

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thanks one and all.

I appreciate all the feedback as I was unsure about TM having this info.

RWH, I thank you for the idea about the pipe wrench. I’m like you, but about tools. You usually say when you need a part get the proper part. I usually say when you need a tool, get the proper tool.

I bought and used a 1-7/8 1/2 inch drive impact socket. I had prelubricated the crown nut two or three days ago. The rusted spindle tried to resist, then gave way. I think a pipe wrench might not have worked as I had no leverage with the rear short small bumper off the rig.

Best,

T
Just put a breaker bar into the pintle and crank away, most folks dont have a 1 7/8 socket, but many have a pipe wrench or large channel locks, hit it with some heat and it’s off in seconds. I do a bumper a week, it’s become a tedious process on the M1123’s...

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks