• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

What Snatch block is this?

tcruwithme

I got two of these from a guy in Minneapolis last year - two for $100. He said they were 10 ton but wasn't certain. There are no NSNs or other markings on the blocks that I can see. I haven't used them yet, but I do want to know if I should keep them for my deuce or sell them for use with a smaller vehicle. I posted a picture of these to the M35A2 Facebooks forum, and one cat said they were 8 ton, another cat said "too small for a deuce," and a third cat said 20,000 lbs. Can anyone tell me for certain what these blocks are? Thanks for your help.

Mystery_Block_1.jpg Mystery_Block_4.jpg
Mystery_Block_2.jpg Mystery_Block_5.jpg

Evil Dr. Porkchop

Supporting Vendor
According to my m756 notes the NSN for that block is 3940-00-151-6769. It's used with the rear winch on the truck which is the same winch found on the front of 5 ton trucks, rated at 20,000lbs. However unlike the 5 tons the pipeline trucks use 1/2" cable instead of 5/8". I'd say they're good to go seeing how the cable size is a match, and they seem to be built a fair bit heavier than a stock m35a2 snatch block.

However I find them to be somewhat of a pain to use since you have to unscrew at least one end (sometimes both) to route the cable through and then line it up right before tightening them down. The stock front winch block is much easier to use.

Comparison picture, the block on the right end is a stock m35a2 front winch block:
IMG_2647.jpg

Last edited:

tcruwithme

Thank you, Dr. Porkchop. This is very helpful. Dealing with most things on my deuce is a pain, so these blocks will keep things consistent. I got them for a really good deal; this is probably because the blocks didn't have any markings on them, and the seller didn't know what he had. The physical size and rope diameter looked correct, so I took a chance and bought them. Thanks again!

According to my m756 notes the NSN for that block is 3940-00-151-6769. It's used with the rear winch on the truck which is the same winch found on the front of 5 ton trucks, rated at 20,000lbs. However unlike the 5 tons the pipeline trucks use 1/2" cable instead of 5/8". I'd say they're good to go seeing how the cable size is a match, and they seem to be built a fair bit heavier than a stock m35a2 snatch block.

However I find them to be somewhat of a pain to use since you have to unscrew at least one end (sometimes both) to route the cable through and then line it up right before tightening them down. The stock front winch block is much easier to use.

Comparison picture, the block on the right end is a stock m35a2 front winch block:
View attachment 720558

Hard Head

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I use a Warn 83086 rated at 36k with an 8" sheave with my 18k winches. Smitty (Red) claimed to take the load but the sheave was too small and so was the snatch block. I would just make sure your sheave is large enough in diameter to prevent damage to the cable. Recommended size is 8" for EIPS 1/2" cable. Cable types and cores make a difference on how small a radius bend can be.

IMG_0622.jpgIMG_0620.jpg

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks