• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

What to look for on a humvee when buying

RPMRPM

Hey guys long story short my current humvee I purchased with a blown engine which didn’t matter to me since I’m dropping a Cummins with new trans and t-case in it, but I’m going to look at one a buddy is selling today he gave me a great price on it it’s a 2 door rag top troop truck he said it runs and drive, not sure the condition if it and weather it’s a OD truck or not but since I’m buying this one not to build just to drive I wanna know if there’s anything in specific I should look for as a red flag I run a performance shop for cummins diesels so i know the usual stuff but is there any things I need to look for specific to humvees thanks ahead of time for the help guys.

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
Hey guys long story short my current humvee I purchased with a blown engine which didn’t matter to me since I’m dropping a Cummins with new trans and t-case in it, but I’m going to look at one a buddy is selling today he gave me a great price on it it’s a 2 door rag top troop truck he said it runs and drive, not sure the condition if it and weather it’s a OD truck or not but since I’m buying this one not to build just to drive I wanna know if there’s anything in specific I should look for as a red flag I run a performance shop for cummins diesels so i know the usual stuff but is there any things I need to look for specific to humvees thanks ahead of time for the help guys.
Crawl under it and push and pull on the drive shafts. And while you are at it, do the same to the half-shafts that power the wheels. Universal joints shouldn't be loose or wiggly. If you are good on the engine part - the drive train is where you need to focus.

BLK HMMWV

While your rolling around under it tap on the frame rails. They are hollow or open on one end. Depending on where it came from or saw service and in which branch of the service it was in it may have seen some salt water or been fording something.
Wasn't uncommon in the early HMMWV's to suffer from improper flushing out rails afterwards.

rancherrob

Steel Soldiers Supporter
You could do a cylinder compression test via the glow plugs and perform the transmission self diagnostic to see if it's throwing any codes. That would let you know the general condition of two of the most expensive things to fix.

Milcommoguy

Supporting Vendor
My "What to look for question when buying"

Check the price ... add in the auction, tax, delivery, license, processing fees, a couple of nice dinners, a day long trip to the mall to convince the boss.

Add it all up... $$ Double it $$$$. That's the sale price, CAMO

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks