• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

What type of Jeep is this?

TheScott

Hello, this is my grandpa's jeep from WWII. He was part of the 3rd Army, 1252nd Army Corps of Engineers. When he was still alive he stated that he sent this jeep back over to the States however, he never received it. Anyway, I want to do a find a Jeep that is similar to this one, I was hoping you could tell me which type of Jeep this is? I haven't found any pictures that look similar to this online(flaps on the front fender and the painted star in front of the rear wheel well)? Do you know of any restoration places that sell restored jeeps? in California? Thanks for any help in this matter.

Attachments

Bob H

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Yes, I'll also vote MB with field mod fender flaps.
Brent Mullins in AZ ( I think) would be a good source for a restored WWII jeep.
go to www.G503.com it is run by Ron Fitzpatrick of Oregon.
There is no better source for WWII jeep info in the world than G503

pics 2 & 4 have been flipped/inverted

Last edited:

Wolf.Dose

The vehicle is for shure a Willy's MB (or a Ford MB). The fender modifications were common in Germany, lots of photos known in the literature. The drivers seat is somewhat uncommon, many be stolen from a french car. German seats to my knowledge did not look like that by that time, at least no chromed handle.
Wolf

Danger Ranger

Maybe its the fenders playing tricks on my eyes, but does the wheelbase look a little long to anyone else? It is interesting to say the least.

Wolf.Dose

Danger Ranger,
by that time only the beach master version had a longer wheel base than the standard Willy's. And that one was exclusivly used in the pacific theatre. Refer to Jeeps over the Pacific.
Wolf

WillWagner

The Person You Were Warned About As A Child
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I seem to remember reading somewhere and seeing these mods in the article I read, that these were outfitted like this to keep mud from flinging back up into the occupants faces and laps after hostilities were over. I can't remember where I read it :roll:

paulfarber

If you look closely the picture showing the side profile has been reversed.. most likely when they were scanned to digital from a negative. The drivers side is on the left, and the jeep is point to the right. That is 180 out.. the jeep SHOULD be pointing to the LEFT.

Also, gramps must have loved his uniform.. he stripped the drivers side clean of: shovel and axe brackets, hand holds, mirror black out driving light.

The thing on the back is a 'bustle rack' and were common on jeeps that had a dedicated driver with lots-o-crap to keep track of. Generally it should have gone in the HQ (since this is a HQ assigned jeep) 2.5 ton... but gramps kept it with him.

The splash guards are also a common mod.... no way you drive through mud and not end up wearing it.

No way to tell if its a GPW or MB... pic is to grainy and does not show anything unique to each model.

One VERY interesting item is that the front passenger wheel is a civvy tread. Another very common thing to see... tires were always in short supply.

Be wary of the advice on G503. Most of it is good... but there area some stinkers in the bunch.

Robo McDuff

In memorial Ron - 73M819
Steel Soldiers Supporter
A guy who also has a lot of stuff on Willies and knows a lot is Joop Staman in the Netherlands (last three pics). He bought a lot of jeep surplus material decades ago. He also regularly ships to the USA. Ditto Reomie (first two pics).

Some pics added from jeeps I saw in the Netherlands. Most if not all of them post-WWII. Probably there are more where those are stationed, although the jeep is a very popular thing also here in the Czech Republic and the Netherlands.

reomie-may-2011_01-r.jpg Image0021-cresize.jpg IMG_8579-cr.jpg

Collectors_03_04-cr.jpg Collectors_03_06-r.jpg Collectors_03_07-cr.jpg

Last edited:

Austringer

Steel Soldiers Supporter
basically a modified MB or GPW, but that was said all ready. I need to get 100 posts so I'm working on it now... :)

zout

This jeep is far from either as you determined. Burma Jeep to be precise to be valid and productive to accumulate the 100 post mark just to post a classified ad. It does the poster no worthwhile evidence that this site provides to throw them off base just to optain a tally count.

SETOYOTA

Steel Soldiers Supporter
uh... that is not a Burma Jeep. it is a WWII Willys MB or a Ford GPW. Here is a Burma jeep

Attachments

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks