• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

What wheelbearings!

Marks Garage

I was told by 2 buddys that they were towed home last week @ 550.00 a shot. So I pulled my drums off the front. YIKES! The inner bearings were dry. The rt side was ruined. I installed all new bearings and races both sides. Glad I did't drive it to Abeerdeen. Man is my steering play gone. I will have to get used to that. Will work on my brakes tomorrow. Thanks for the help guys. Mark

ken

Steel Soldiers Supporter
You might check the rear axles weel bearings also. They have been through the same service as the front. They are also packed in grease.

cten

Here is a question.

Is there not a grease fitting on the front hub to lub the axle and bearings?

Do you physically need to pull them off?

Regards,

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
They have to be pulled apart to pack the bearings. Oddly enough I did see a truck recently where someone drilled and tapped a hole for a zerk right on the front drive flange.

cten

I'm curious what purpose the fittings that I have serve.

I'll have to take a better look at it.

I do know that once I filled them up I did not get movement in the front right wheel anymore.

Easy enough to pull the outside off and see if it filled with grease.

Thanks

MVtrucker

>I'm curious what purpose the fittings that I have serve.
Which fittings, the ones on top and bottom of the knuckle?
If packing grease in took away play, you have problems in there.

MVtrucker

This just caught my eye: >Easy enough to pull the outside off and see if it filled with grease.
Are you referring to the front wheel drive flange? Filling the hub with grease is not packing the wheel bearings.

cten

Back to school I go.

I'm not having any issues and she is driving great.

I'll pull them off anyways when I have a spare moment to check them out.

Just to be on the safe side.

Thanks Joe.

MVtrucker

Golly, cten, there's no reason to pull them. except after maybe many. many miles. Provided a seal doesn't leak.
You didn't answer my questions...

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks