• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

What would you service first after getting a used FMTV ? Saying its a runner ?

1951M1078

Did not come up with anything in my search so I will start this.

You (I) have just won a running/driving FMTV. (in my case a M1078 )

What would you start with ? That is after you have downloaded the TM's and parts manual. And have done some reading.

Suprman

Supporting Vendor
Grease all the fittings change oil check coolant level, diff and hub fluid check, check trans fluid, steering fluid. Repl air dryer and purge any moisture in air system.

1951M1078

Best grease ? Red syn ?

Any reason to add air system anti-freeze after changing the dryer ? (I'm installing a new style dryer)

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Remove the batteries and terminals and wire wheel all the electrical connections.

snowtrac nome

I normally suggest an oil change, but mine looks freshly changed with no miles on mine it. For me will be grease guns bp autran syn 295 for the transmission and change gear boxes out to synthetic fluids. At the end of summer I will change engine oil to 5w40 synthetic and service the air dryer. Stay away From methanol in your air system it is for emergency use it is corrosive and will take grease awoa from all the moving parts in your air system

mkcoen

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I would recommend simply going through the PMCS procedures in the TM. Yes lube everything but following the PMCS will have you checking all the fluid levels and making sure things are where they're supposed to be. Don't be surprised if your "running" truck is missing parts. That will take up a bit of your time. After you've treated the batteries like NDT suggested I'd hit EVERY SINGLE Ground on the truck. That should take care of a lot of gremlins that want to pop up.

coachgeo

Suprman

Supporting Vendor
Driveline hinging test. Only .0015 of an inch play allowed in u joints, slip joints and yokes. Excessive play will cause flying driveline parts. Seen that 6 or 7 times. Check fan clutch for flex play left to right. Worn clutch can come apart at the most in opportune time and toss the fan blade thru your radiator. Really ruins your day. Seen that a few times. Sold a truck a while back guy was driving it ffrom CT to FL. Halfway down the fan clutch blew. Lucky it didn't damage the radiator. I had the parts here and overnited them to him he was able to put it back together and be on his way. He was lucky though.

coachgeo

Driveline hinging test. Only .0015 of an inch play allowed in u joints, slip joints and yokes. Excessive play will cause flying driveline parts. Seen that 6 or 7 times. .....
Really... lol...... and how long was this argued to be an issue only I was imagining lol. But yeah CHECK THAT especially before any long trips. Hinging test is described and listed in the TM's. Not sure Fan and Fan Clutch check is.... but it certainly has appeared to be an issue. Need to add that to my must do list thank's for reminding me Will.

Last edited:

Suprman

Supporting Vendor
I never said you were imagining anything. I have lists of tacom warnings about flying driveshafts. It still happens in the military even with the TM requirements. There are special requirements to loctite the fan bolts but it's the whole clutch that separates when it comes apart.

coachgeo

I never said you were imagining anything. I have lists of tacom warnings about flying driveshafts. It still happens in the military even with the TM requirements. There are special requirements to loctite the fan bolts but it's the whole clutch that separates when it comes apart.
Nope you never said that, nor implied it. Your one of the few, if not the only one; who supported that this was a concern and something to take into account. Thank you for doing so.

BTW the previous post was meant to be more of an "interestingly funny" than anything else. Overall it's a good bunch in here.

Last edited:

Suprman

Supporting Vendor
I have used the self service car wash at nite before. You dont want to use too high pressure. And the self service bay has an oil separator in the drain your driveway probably dosnt.

snowtrac nome

for the amount of oil on mine I have no worries about the oil water separator if one does have a lot of leaks hot water is the way to go cold works fine for just dirt as does your pay and spray car wash.

1951M1078

Can't do that to someone ! But I have a area at the shop for doing that. Back to the question, Hot or cold ? Was thinking the pressure is doing most of the cleaning ? Also thinking about a weed sprayer with simple green ? Maybe some engine de-greaser ?

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks