• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

what's the deal with mounting Deuce Tires?

bottleworks

Please excuse my ignorance on the subject. Why is the split wheel dangerous? From what I am guessing, the dangerous part is when the bead of the tire seats on the rim? What fails when this happens? The bolts, the rib of the wheel brakes a part? I have never seen anyone mounting a tire on this type of wheel before. Please enlighten!

devilman96

Do a search, there have been several post on this subject with a little "how to"... and "how NOT to" info. The just of it is this... If it decides to blow it will kill whomever it hits...

rice

It has to be done RIGHT. If you don't think you can do it, let an experienced person do it. But even with experience you need a cage when you inflate it.

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
When mounting the tire onto the wheel, the ring is off. Once the tire is on the wheel the ring is installed. The ring has a lip which must be seated under the bead of the tire. If the tire is not holding the ring in place when it's inflated, the tire will simply push the ring off the wheel.
If you don't notice that the ring is improperly seated then the increasing tire pressure can propell the ring with great force in any direction.
After the tire has been installed on your truck, chances are minimal that this will occur, but it is still a good idea to stand to the side when adjusting tire pressure.
The rear dual tires on the deuce have the rings facing each other and should be considered safe under any circumstances. The front tires have the rings facing out.

rmgill

If the wheel has lost pressure and the ring has slipped, it can pop off under re-inflation pressure as well. I built a clip on inflator kit so I can hook a yellow coiled hose in between the hand valve and the inflator so I can step way the heck back from inflating a suspect tire.

wallew

Steel Soldiers Supporter
And youse guys all wondered why I'm pitching those silly split rims.

I will have eight normal six lug bud wheels in 22.5. I've got the six that go on the ground. Randy Barnes scrounged a spare tire for me so that's seven. Now I've just got to get the money together for that second spare.

Thx goes out to RANDYLBARNES! As soon as I get them mounted, I will post pix. Going super single Michelin Radials in 11r22.5. XDY-2's in the front and XDY-1's in the rear.

M1075

Bjorn-

I think the 11R22.5 tires are only 41 inches, same as the 9.00x20. Shouldn't be a problem with the chains. We'll let Wallew confirm once we gets them on.

wallew

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Bjorn,
My tires are 42 inches in height (not mounted on the truck). Randy Barnes added chains to his single setup before going on the 'frozen butt' campout a few weeks ago. His Bridgestones are as tall as mine. He ran three pairs of chains.

I too intend to uses chains whenever I feel it necessary. So I am NOT worried about it.

And since I'm on this subject, TOMORROW at my house, a few of the SS members are HOPEFULLY going to help me do the super single swap, weather permitting. YEAH!

I'm feeding anyone who shows up. Hopefully DrFoster and RandyLBarnes and one of our newer members mcmullag will be able to come over and kibitz while I do most of the work. The wife will be making lunch. May even get her to bake us some cookies. NOW if any of youse other guys can make to DENVER by about 10am manyana (Saturday), contact me and I'll send you directions. The more the merrier! Yes, yes, I KNOW, pictures WILL be posted after we are done!

jim

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks