• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

whats the deal with this truck?

CARNAC

The Envelope Please.
Supporting Vendor
Send the info from the data plate and I'll see what it brings up.

The near side generator looks like the high amp model for the M1010. I can't see the far side that well. They could have sooped up the generators for the shelter.

m4A1

There were some M1028's with A/C setup for shelters with a/c hookup. The vin does not show it as a chassis cab.

CUCVFAN

Gunner's Mate First Class
Steel Soldiers Supporter
As was pointed out, this is an M1028 with the M1010 charging system. From what I have been able to find out, they were a limited run of 1987 trucks that were specially ordered this way to provide the 200-amp capacity of the M1010 for the comm stuff. The A/C was sort of a a side-effect of how they were ordered/built. It could be hooked up to a shelter as shown above, but the heater controls are regular CUCV. The A/C had to be controlled from the unit in the shelter. It also has the fuel pump for the M1010 heater under the hood. The RPO sheet on this truck will show "seats - high back bucket" and "ambulance body", even though it doesn't have them. The VIN plate will have a GVW of 9450 and a curb weight of 7370 (the values for an M1010), but the NSN for an M1028.

This charging system didn't work right from the factory and was the subject of numerous PS articles. I'm not sure any truck that comes out will be working properly, although I have heard that if it was loaded enough, it would operate correctly. Otherwise, my best result (the truck in my avatar had this system) was to force one alternator to charge 14V and let the other do 24V by switching the orange and red wires on the DUVAC. Even then, it can be a flaky system.

CUCVFAN

Gunner's Mate First Class
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Michael pic shows it. The drivers side fender, right behind the hood hinge. The lines can be seen running across the firewall in the original picture posted by 84cucv1ton. They run down under the cab on the passenger side.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks