• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

What's the history of the Water Buffalo

jasonjc

Ok I know that there are 2, The M107 and the M149.

The M107 has a aluminum 400gal tank on a M103 chassie.

The M149 has a firberglass 400gal tank on its own trailer

The M149A2 has a stainless Steel 400gal tank.

So I know the M149A2 came after the M149 but what about the M107? Was it frist? The same time? Is one/was one cheaper than the other? Why make 2 almost the same trailers?

Anyone know the time line for these or any history? Or insight? Like why does the M107 have 3 diferent size faucet on the front? The TM shows a 1/2" 1" and 1 1/4"

maddawg308

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Actually, the first purpose-built water trailer in military inventory (my apologies to any WW1 trailers I may have forgotten, I'm not big into WW1 history), was the G-527 series of water buffalos, built on the Ben Hur trailer chassis of WW2. It is listed in David Doyle's book on military vehicles. The capacity was 250 gallons, all other dimensions and weights are similar to the later M107 type.

jasonjc

I just looked at David's book. I see there was also a M106 water trailer. It was just like the M107 but had 11.00-20 so it would match up to the M34 and M135 trucks.

Also looking thought the TM I see diferance between the M107A1 is one air hose and the M107A2 &M107A2C have two. Thats becasue the A1 use the M103A1 chassis and the A2 & A2C use the M103A3 chassis.

Now what is the difreance between the A2 and A2C? For the M105 cargo trailer (based on the same trailer) the A2C has vacum brakes. Does the M107A2C have vacum brakes also?
Looking thought the TM you find ALOT of typo's so it make you wonder what is right and what is a typo.

jasonjc

Well I just did some looking on the above link to Olive-Drab.com on the trailers. It alot of info on trailers. I see the USMC has a new (as of 2009) water trailer a MK149. It's a 600gal on a 4 wheel trailer, but tops the scales at almost 20,000lbs:-o:-o 4,800 of water and 14,000lbs of trailer! WOW

Back to the M106,M107,M149's
I see the older TM's for these, at lest the M106 & M107 are : ORD 7-8 SNL G754 , TM 9-875B OCT 1951 , TM 9-8226 Apr 1955. Does any one have these? I would like to see what they say about the older ones. Alot gets lost in the rewrites. It mite lead to info on the bracket on the front of the M107 that was ask about in another post.
I see two that the early M106 & 7's had a hand pump for filling the tank. These did not make it too the "A1's"

*Found the TM 9-875B its right here the the TM sec. will down load it later.

Last edited:

jasonjc

The M106/7's came out in the late 40's. Does any one know when the M149's came out? Are they an imprvment on the M107's? Or were they used differently than the 107's?:roll:

jasonjc

I see looking thought the M149 TM that it has:
(4) Water tanks are equipped with a quick-disconnect coupling (13) for use with field kitchens. To use,​
pull out coupling rings (12) and remove dust plug (19).

Does this mean they were made just for use with the MKT??

jasonjc

I came a cross a another water trailer the M625 it seems to be a M149 with vacuum/hydraulic brakes and 12volt??

The TM for this trailer is the same as the M149's TM 9-2330-267-14&P dated Feb 1981 But
TM 9-2330-267-14&P dated July 1991 supersedes it and it droped the M625.

What truck or?? were these trailer ment to be pulled by?? The M105A2C also had the vacuum brakes.

Tinstar

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Tag info:
M149A2
VIN: 3667

Just picked up from GP. Frame rusted out. Has many good parts on it (usable). Talked to the wife about stripping is down and sell what I can off it. She suggested to leave it original (usually gives me grief for buying such items)

Now I’m looking to identify the manufacturer and year built. Tank says 86. I believe that’s when they rebuilt it last

Things I know:
Same frame as every other M149A2 I’ve seen except mine is the only one that is boxed with a smaller channel creating the box (looks original to me). It has bolted plates to access the spring frame attachment bolts). I don’t know what they call them.

Axle has a raised plate with Rockwell Standard logo on it. From looking up RS, they were in business years before this tank was made.

Trailer has the rear stabilizer leg that I don’t see on newer units.

Landing gear, water boxes, tank, and plumbing all look to been replaced due to no rust.

Govplanet lists this as a US Army Tank Automotive Command.

First post for me and was hoping someone has seen this and would like to share their knowledge on the matter. I’ve spent many hours looking into the M149, M106/107.
Anyways, thanks and if I need to start my own thread and not attach to the history page. I will View attachment 904325View attachment 904326View attachment 904327View attachment 904328View attachment 904329delete.
Welcome to Steel Soldiers !!

Yes
Starting your own thread will help others see this and answer any questions.

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
I wanted to add surge or change to electric over hydraulic (expensive for rusted out frame)
I only have a truck to pull it around, so no air.
Need to know that water is roughly 8.33# Per Gallon.

Need to know water slosh is going to be a brand new experience if you haven't had a liquid filled trailer behind you. It feels like somebody rammed you from behind the first time you hit the brakes. First slosh forward, just a little bump, then the water races to the back of the tank, then hits the bulkhead (front of the tank).

You would definitely want the tank to be as full as possible to minimize that slosh.

Need to know that water weight of 3000 gallons would be roughly 24,990 pounds. That is why nothing smaller than a Deuce should be dragging a Full Buffalo

G744

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Why nobody sets up a hardmount 12V compressor and a small tank, & a "Johnny bar" to control the air brakes all those GI trailers come with.

Far simpler than goobering up a nice trailer.

12V compressor.jpgeBay

Johnny bar.jpg
NAPA

Plus, if you have an air hose to hook to your gladhand, tires that need air are not any problem.

Or get fancy with a line pressure gage, you can learn when what air is enough to really stop but not get a flat spot on your tires.

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks