• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

What's the longest box you can mount on M1078 bed?

GENX

Seems like all the extended M1078’s have a little bow that seems to manifest from the pictures. I wonder if an extra spring is necessary or bags or even a dump piston….
I’d like to milk max space out of mine without going to a 6x6

coachgeo

you say "on the bed" that is a different question than "remove bed..... put on the chassis".... so need to know which answer you want before anyone can offer advise.

GENX

you say "on the bed" that is a different question than "remove bed..... put on the chassis".... so need to know which answer you want before anyone can offer advise.
That's a great point. I am not the OP, but for my purposes I am here looking to mount on the chassis, a subframe that pivots. This is after I redo the Air intake and relocate the spare tire to expose as much of the frame as possible.
I am going to get my truck in the next week or so and try to mock up the departure angle and see if I can engineer it so that I can accomodate a motorcycle hauler with max length. So the height of the hauler will have to clear the rake point.

B-Dog

I know this is an old thread and the OP is probably long gone. Without special permitting, the max length for a single unit vehicle varies state by state with a common limit of 45ft.

So, to answer the OP, figure the max length of the box 35-37ft depending on if you move the spare tire or not? Give or take.

:D

coachgeo

So, to answer the OP, figure the max length of the box 35-37ft depending on if you move the spare tire or not? Give or take.

:D
believe those numbers are more like max length of whole rig and not box alone.

PS- one way to lengthen box yet still be drivable offroad to not snag your ass on things... is do to big Dove Tail. aka..... angle up end edge of box in a path so the rear edge of box follows from rear tires back edge and up an angled line just inside of the most in the way items you hit on the way up and back. Same line used to measure rear departure angle of OEM LMTV.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks