• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

What's this Intake piece is?

Mogman

Staff member
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Not positive about that part, there is a water drain "valve" attached to the bottom of the air filter housing (inboard), should look something like this.
R.78e1d057375082277670331915a213dd.jpg

papakb

Standard Army HMMWVs had the duckbill on the bottom of the air filter housing to drain any water that got into the air intake from getting into the emgine, Marine vehicles with fording kits had the blank off plug because the fording intake was at the top of the windshield and the likelyhood of water getting into it was that much less.

Hummer Guy

So I got it now, that is the drainage hose to the box, the problem I have is the thing broke off so I got to either get another air box or just seal the bottom up with some flex paste or some other paste that will complete cover the small hole

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
So I got it now, that is the drainage hose to the box, the problem I have is the thing broke off so I got to either get another air box or just seal the bottom up with some flex paste or some other paste that will complete cover the small hole
Well... Since you own the truck, you might not be driving it through deep water. Funny how that works. When it belongs to somebody else, driving through water up to the doors isn't a big deal. When you own it, chances are that you will be a little more conservative.

A patch on the bottom of the breather should be a good solution. Could be fiberglass mat from a body repair kit will be a cheap and fairly permanent fix...

Hummer Guy

That piece is glued onto the AF cannister, just glue it back on, I just did one today, RTV and 4 1/8in rivets.
Okay, but one-off topic question, have you ever had to remove that RTV stuff off an oil pan that's stuck on? I have to take my transmission oil pan off which I used gray RTV on, I try to take the pan off by beating it with a rubber hammer, that didn't help so I tried getting it with a crowbar, that still didn't help.

When I get back to it, my next plan is to use a pick and try to get it off

Retiredwarhorses

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Okay, but one-off topic question, have you ever had to remove that RTV stuff off an oil pan that's stuck on? I have to take my transmission oil pan off which I used gray RTV on, I try to take the pan off by beating it with a rubber hammer, that didn't help so I tried getting it with a crowbar, that still didn't help.

well, you don’t use RTV on transmission pan, the gasket on the 4L80e is reusable, the 3 speed uses a cork gasket, no RTV required.

Hummer Guy

well, you don’t use RTV on transmission pan, the gasket on the 4L80e is reusable, the 3 speed uses a cork gasket, no RTV required.
I'm a bit too late, the original gasket on the 4l80e was pretty brittle so I got another gasket which worked for about a month and then started leaking so afterwards I used the gray RTV which lasted for a day till it started leaking.

I now have an original OEM 4l80e gasket but the one problem is my pan is stuck so I have no way of installing it till I get this pan off

Retiredwarhorses

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I'm a bit too late, the original gasket on the 4l80e was pretty brittle so I got another gasket which worked for about a month and then started leaking so afterwards I used the gray RTV which lasted for a day till it started leaking.

I now have an original OEM 4l80e gasket but the one problem is my pan is stuck so I have no way of installing it till I get this pan off
i suggest buying a new pan as well…

Maxjeep1

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Yea, I have a new pan too, I think it maybe what's causing the leak

My last resort is to grind the current pan off if I can't get it to move
I had a leak on my pan and I replaced the gasket twice and it still had a little fluid running down the surface of the pan. Thought maybe my pan was warped and I got one of the aluminum pans with o-ring. I still had a leak. Turns out that I had a front seal leaking just enough to follow the edge of the pan. This was on a 4l70e but it might be helpful.

Hummer Guy

I had a leak on my pan and I replaced the gasket twice and it still had a little fluid running down the surface of the pan. Thought maybe my pan was warped and I got one of the aluminum pans with o-ring. I still had a leak. Turns out that I had a front seal leaking just enough to follow the edge of the pan. This was on a 4l70e but it might be helpful.
That came to my mind but the reason I think its not the front seal is because when I first put the new gasket, it lasted about a month and the RTV itself didn't leak for a day and the leak kept getting bigger over a couple of days

Mogman

Staff member
Steel Soldiers Supporter

A pick will not help, all that will do is remove the excess, it is stuck on the gasket surface, slowly driving something thin between the pan and transmission working your way around and around until it gives up, patience and moderation is a big virtue here.

Hummer Guy

Hummer Guy

I got this pan removed today, its crazy how much this RTV sticks, a lot of the pan got bent up while I was removing it. I have one question, is there something on the wiring that go to the speedo? Or is that the cable on the transfer case?

Mogman

Staff member
Steel Soldiers Supporter
What wiring? picture would help, if it has a 4 speed the trans has a harness, also you need to buy a new pan and install it with the correct gasket.

Hummer Guy

What wiring? picture would help, if it has a 4 speed the trans has a harness, also you need to buy a new pan and install it with the correct gasket.
I meant to ask if the wiring have anything to do with the speed gauge not working, and yea I got the a new pan and the correct gasket. Tomorrow Im going to install it and see if I still have a leak

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks