• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Whatt's this?

Jon_H

Spotted this at the rally last week and the rear axle has caught my attention, I may have been chatting with its owner at the stall it was park at, but I don't know his name or username, sorry :oops:

Anyway, was curious what type of Jeep it is and what its military role would be, towing or carrying a heavy load? Just that the rear load area seemed short for a large load.

Thanks in advance 8)

Attachments

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
the owner built the bed, has a deisel in it, no front wheel drive- different gearing in the front and rear

KsM715

73m819, your post is confusing. Does that thruck there in the pics have no front drive axle or do the tugs (stock from the military) have no front axle. You say different gearing in the front and rear.

I know that stock from the military the have very short wheelbase and really low gearing in the rear to pull a heavy aircraft.

Jon_H

Thanks for the replies.

I had searched around Google and came across CJ10's but didn't see anything with a dually rear axle, but a tug would make sense needing more traction/weight distribution. Is the dually standard or mod?

Like KsM715 said, is it 2wd as stock or 4wd in service and moded as 2wd by owner?

Cheers
Jon

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
Was designed as 4x4, has a front drive axle but no drive shaft, the owner changed the gearing in the rear or changed the rear (dont remember which), has found a matching set for the front but a lack of funds has delayed the installed.

Last edited:

jaxsof

I am beginning to get concerned. Havent seen a zombie in a while. Maybe theyre getting ready...

You still see the Dodge tugs on GL occassionally.

Wildchild467

Steel Soldiers Supporter
i believe they were set up to only run in low range also. I heard a story where a guy was able to get his in high range but it made the thing gutless. What diesel engines did they put in them?

jeffhuey1n

SMSgt, USAF (Ret.)
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Never fear, we saw some Zombies last night. They're waiting for their moment tomorrow when everyone is either celebrating or crying, they'll strike. Have your zombie bumpers sharp and ready to go......

Those CJ-10s were a pain in the tookus to drive and be drug around by. When towing a huey, one holds onto the tail skid to balance it. Those ding blasted CJ's would shift (were'nt supposed to) and purt near rip the arm off the tail walker.

Glad to see someone putting one to good use, other than a target on a missile range.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The correct nomenclature is a CJ10A. The CJ10 was actually a pickup basedon this design or visa versa.

Streamline

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Spotted this at the rally last week and the rear axle has caught my attention, I may have been chatting with its owner at the stall it was park at, but I don't know his name or username, sorry :oops:

Anyway, was curious what type of Jeep it is and what its military role would be, towing or carrying a heavy load? Just that the rear load area seemed short for a large load.

Thanks in advance 8)

This CJ10A That is now a CJ10 is owned by the guys I deal with for my army surplus and tents the truck sits just up the road from my shop. Owners names are Ed and David they have been trying to sign on to the forum but he is having problems getting on hear because of his computer...we are working on that.

They know more about this than I do but I can tell you it started out as a CJ10A, Wagoner and a tug. They used the wagoner frame and front axle then used the tug axle and other parts upgraded the axle to a dully. Custom built the bed. added a few other items but everything is military.

Hope this helps!

Jon_H

This CJ10A That is now a CJ10 is owned by the guys I deal with for my army surplus and tents the truck sits just up the road from my shop. Owners names are Ed and David they have been trying to sign on to the forum but he is having problems getting on hear because of his computer...we are working on that.

They know more about this than I do but I can tell you it started out as a CJ10A, Wagoner and a tug. They used the wagoner frame and front axle then used the tug axle and other parts upgraded the axle to a dully. Custom built the bed. added a few other items but everything is military.

Hope this helps!
Thought it was a little unusual, that's what caught my attention, I like stuff that's a little out of the ordinary. Sounds like the owner has but some effort into building his truck.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks