• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

wheel cylinder volume.

Chinookpilot77

I've read that the wheel cylinders on a deuce are 1 3/8th bore diameter. Does anyone know what the throw is per piston? I'm trying to figure out the volume of the cylinders.

Thanks to all.

Westech

CPL
you know that is a good question.. I have a M211 that needs a new air pack and I have one for a M35.... don't know if it has enough push to move the dual cylinders on each hub... good question Chin.. I hope someone can answer it.

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The brake shoes should only be moving about .020" to the drum.

Barrman

Dog head has a point. The real answer depends on how you have your shoes adjusted. With correct "major" or "minor" shoe adjustments, the pistons should move very little each time the pedal is pushed.

If you have only done a "minor" adjustment in the past or never had your drums off then you could have a great deal of movement and a very low pedal. Not trying to be rude or anything, but a study of the -20 manual really is needed to understand the "major" and "minor" maintenance routine. They even have pictures.

Now, to try and answer your question. Each wheel cylinder has a bore of 1-3/8". To determine volume, you need the length as well. I don't have a wheel cylinder apart right now, so I can't measure that for you. However, I can't think of a reason except for figuring out how much fluid to put in the system from a dry start why you would need that figure. Just for fun, figure a quart of brake fluid to go from all dry to full and bled.

rchalmers3

Half a mile from the Broad River
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I'd try to solve the equation differently, by looking at the master cylinder.

Calculate the volume of the master cylinder, using the old formula as noted above. Then note how much MC piston travel is used for a high pedal (well adjusted brakes) and low pedal (poorly adjusted) brake condition.

That should put you pretty close to your desired info, unless the air pack has a reductive or multiplicative effect.

Rick

m-35tom

Supporting Vendor
when you have air available, the master cylinder on the pedal does not apply the brakes. it only controls the air valve on the air pack. it is the master on the air pack that applies the brakes. when no air is available the pedal master pushes on the air pack master which applies the brakes. π is the symbol for Pi
tom