• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Wheel options for 395's

ryker725

I found a place that carries used 395's pretty cheap, but the owner of the place tells me that the military drills holes in the tires. Can the holes be repaired? And what are the best options for wheels. I've heard that stock will work...

Hooty481

I would say they could be repaired but they had better be really **** cheap sounds like to me... but it all depends on how many holes and the size of them too.

As for wheels I am running the recentered Hemmt wheels. There are alot of different styles o choose from. Bolt in or welded. I went with the bolt in.

ryker725

I just came from there and you cannot see where the tire was drilled after they repaired it. The guy said they usually ship the drilled tires to South America and Europe. In fact, most of the military tires he buys end up in South America. He has a bunch of 11x20's but just shipped off the last of his 9x20s a week ago. This place is freaking huge.. Ever wonder who gobbles up high dollar tires from GL in bulk? Well I think I found him..

ranchhopper

I know a person who gets tires by getting the scrap tire contracts from the military all the tires he had that were holed were done in the sidewalls and were no good. Unless the tire was sectioned by someone like bandag or another retreader I would avoid them there is a reason they go south of the border.

ryker725

Oh yeah.. He specifically said they are not to be used on vehicles that are run on roads. The rock crawling crowd love this guy because of his prices on the drilled tires..

He did say that he is expecting 40-50 395's on rims late next week from a GL auction minus the drill holes.. Michelins and Goodyears with 75% or better tread.. Gonna wait and see what he ends up with..

Punisher666

A good vulcanizing patch job should sufice or in a pinch use RTV ( Room Temperature Vulcanizing) silicone and that should last a rather long time. A couple friends have repaired a tire that had seperation of the tread from the body of the tire and it lasted 8 years.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks