• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

When Multi?

cbvet

Just Curious,
When were multifuel engines first put in deuces?
I don't remember actually seeing any in 'Nam while there '66-'68, but I seem to recall hearing about multifuel trucks of some kind back then.
Most of our SeaBee vehicles were older, around late '50s.
Eric
CBVET

DDoyle

Supporting Vendor
June, 1963 the deuce powered by LDS-427 began production, this was replaced by the LD-465 in June, 1965.

Best wishes,
David Doyle

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
My Dad had multifuel Deuces in Germany in '64. He said they had turned in all their gasser powered trucks and had them replaced with brand new multi's. All were rear exhaust (non stack).

DDoyle

Supporting Vendor
The vertical exhaust, naturally aspirated engine I THINK came out in 1969 - still trying to prove this. Probably have enough data - just not enough time to sort it out!

DD

clinto

Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
The vertical exhaust, naturally aspirated engine I THINK came out in 1969 - still trying to prove this. Probably have enough data - just not enough time to sort it out!

DD
So there were rear exhaust 465's? I thought (apparently incorrectly) that rear exhaust automatically = 427, stack = 465. It appears I stand corrected.

Alright Mangus, don't rub it in!! :oops: rofl

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Yeah Clinto, there were horizontal exhaust trucks. Vtdeucedriver has one. They are sooo quiet. Matter of fact, Ace the tomato dude has an M275A2 with horizontal exhaust, right RAM?

clinto

Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
Dad has ridden in Ryan Gill's truck (with a muffler) and he said it was pretty close to what his Deuce sounded like (in terms of volume).

DDoyle

Supporting Vendor
Yep, the LD-465 originally had horizontal exhaust, later changed to vertical. I've got a couple of the LD-465 with horizontal.

DD

Ferroequinologist

Resident railroad expert
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Would a horizontal exhaust still ford as well? (just don't shut off the engine...) Also, did they change to the vertical to help keep exhaust fumes out of the bed full of GIs?

I would like to put a horizontal exhaust on mine, especially if it is quieter.

DDoyle

Supporting Vendor
To ford with a horizontal exhaust (either gas or Multifuel) an extension pipe is added to the exhaust (there is a flange on the end of the tail pipe for this. I SUSPECT it was to keep fumes from the troops - but have yet to confirm this through documentation. The vertical exhaust LD-465 also had a muffler, under the passenger's seat (basically) - either muffled truck is MUCH quieter than the LDT-powered trucks.

The OA-331 is so quiet it is hardly noticeable when running.

HTH,
David