• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Where’s the gasket?!

Darylfraser

So I would like to think that some poor PFC was under the gun from a motor pool Sergeant to get the injector pump replaced on my deuce. Whatever the case may have been, my deuce came to me, as the 2nd civilian owner, with a nice, clean replacement IP, albeit rather hastily installed!
When I brought it home, my deuce started hard, idled fine and had no power even for an NA multifuel! Long story short, the IP was timed up wrong. It was set on the LDT mark instead of the LD. Retimed, it was like a new truck. I was now capable of roaring along at upwards of 40MPH with all 130 odd horsepower racing away! At this time it was revealed that no one bothered with a gasket on the timing gear cover plate. That would explain the steady drip of oil while it was running. Retimed, resealed, done.
Then the next oil leak. I suppose if one was not inclined to use a gasket on the relatively easily accessible timing gear cover, then why would said person bother to replace the gasket on the IP adapter plate? Surely this metal to metal surface would seal on it’s own! New IP adapter gasket, new IP oring, no leaks! Runs like a top. I love the mysteries these old trucks throw at you.
351150A3-D65F-46A2-840C-D5C5C18F4D0C.jpeg3C7CB073-7743-4EFB-BC31-AF0FF9A4BF5F.jpeg

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks