• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Where and how did you mount your license plates??

wallew

Steel Soldiers Supporter
My truck has passed emissions. I have waded through the lines at DMV and got my truck registered and have my Collectors License plates.

Though I had to pay for five years at a pop for the Collectors plates, as long as it has these plates and I'm the owner I don't have to get the vehicle emissioned again. Which is a good thing, as that was $65.

The 'regular' yearly plates cost about $27 a year more and add to the the yearly emission costs, I figured that over the next five years I save about $450.

So, now I've got to mount the plates someplace.

WHERE AND HOW did you mount YOUR license plates. Or do you just throw them in the glove box if you ever get stopped?

Brad900

I just put mine in the glove box. I have had plenty of cops drive right by me & wave. I don't think I will get pulled over, not like I will be breaking the speed limit

wallew

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Mike,
I LIKE the mudflap idea. And I probably won't mount the front plate. Just leave it in the glove box.

Brad900,
Yeah, what other vehicle can you drive around town and the cops just wave. I have had that exact experience with no plates AT ALL.

thx folks jim

Adamlee

Emissions a deuce? Mine set up w/ antique tags

Wallew, since my deuce is not a daily driver (that's a job for the subaru or the mini) I use antique tags. No inspection whatsoever.

Keep one tag on the rear when I drive, usually it is wired up with baling wire (when I remember to put it on..I keep the tags in the glovebox)

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
i mounted mine on the right side of the front bumper with bungee cords. ga. has only one plate thats rear mounted except truck tractors which is front mount, 819=TRACTOR wrecker

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Here in FL they just passed legislation where we can run the tag in the glove box and present it on demand. Now when we did have to run plates, I bought a really cheap license plate light and bracket usually found on a trailer. Drilled 2 holes in the tail light bracket andbolted to same. Changed bulb to 28V and added a packard connector. Used a 3 to 1 adapter and wired it right in. Licennse plate lights are required in FL.

Opie

My front bumper had one pre-existing hole on the driver's side and I drilled a mate and mounted the front plate directly to the bumper.

For the rear plate I picked up a 2" wide strip of metal with pre-punched holes, mounted that to the bolts on the rear mud flap, and mounted the plate on that strip.

ida34

Most all states that require the plate to be displayed will have a law that states it needs to be perminantly attached to vehicle in a horizontal position. I am a LEO and if the bailing wire is used it does not meet the law if it flaps in the wind. When you get going the plate flies up so it can not be read. I presently just have my plate zip tied to the bumper on the back. I plan to make a bracket. I doubt I will be running it at night much so I wount put a light in but if I was running at night most states say the plate has to be lit. My pet peave is not being able to read a plate or having the plate just stuck in the back window or laying down on the rear deck. Even if you have everything up to date and registered you can still get a ticket for improper display of a plate. It also looks too much like someone using one plate for alot of vehicles or a quick change on a stolen vehicle, or sometimes criminal put the plate in the window so when they are running away from a crime scene they can quickly remove the plate while getting away. That being said I usually do not give tickets for this. I usually give warnings if everything else is kosher. Remember I don't have a quota. I can give out as many tickets a month as I like. That being said the alot of times the "mood" of the cop is greatly affected by the attitude they get when they get up to the car. I have written out warnings and on the way up to the car the driver starts getting irate and spouting off because they see paper and they think ticket. I just excuse myself, go back to the car and rip up the warning and write a real ticket. I don't expect people to be happy and cheery when stopped. I know I just ruined their day but I only hope that the stop will somehow improve their driving habits so they will not be the next accident I work.

Back to the question at hand. Make sure you comply with all local laws. I wish I was in a state that allowed the plate number to be painted on like the bumper number.

m3a1_ht

On both my wrecker and HT I have the plates on rubberized magnetic brackets that you can see here:

http://www.guard81.com/products.asp?Type=License+Plate+Holders&Display_Type=detail

This allows me to remove them easily when I want to (for display) but not get stopped unnecessarily. When I have my M10 ammo trailer on the HT, I just move the HT collector plate to the trailer. They are strong as anything so they don't even budge - nobody would know that they are not perm mounted.

I am happy with the approach and product - but that's me.

G744

Steel Soldiers Supporter
"Plates? Geez, when did tacticals have plates? Run with a camo shirt and everyone thinks it is just the guard doing their thing." Quote Jack Tomlin from Tooele. Worked for him for years. Even with long red hair.

It is a slippery slope, as the next silly thing is some goofy light to shine on the thing.

Where will it end? Stick it to the man!

dg

(Joke, one each, regulatory related, NSN 2320-45-5655)

Dieselsmoke

G744 said:
"Plates? Geez, when did tacticals have plates? Run with a camo shirt and everyone thinks it is just the guard doing their thing." Quote Jack Tomlin from Tooele. Worked for him for years. Even with long red hair.

It is a slippery slope, as the next silly thing is some goofy light to shine on the thing.

Where will it end? Stick it to the man!

dg

(Joke, one each, regulatory related, NSN 2320-45-5655)
How is Jack doing?? I hear he just went through chemo again :( He's the one that taught me how to make this hobby work for me, not me work for the hobby.

Wick246

"How is Jack doing?? I hear he just went through chemo again He's the one that taught me how to make this hobby work for me, not me work for the hobby."
I'm sorry to hear he is sick. I keep watching for anything from him as he is one of the few enthusiasts anywhere near me but sounds like he has had more important things to deal with.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks