• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Where can I find New sparkplugs for the R6602 Gasser?

Towman2277

Hey all, I need to find out where I can obtain a set of the water proof spark plugs for a 1960 5- Ton with the R6602 Gas engine? Any help is appreciated! Thanks, Steve

DDoyle

Supporting Vendor
Memphis Equipment, Rapco and most other major suppliers have the correct plugs for your R6602. Beware, however, that some vendors are selling cheaper (much) plugs that they say "will fit" - and they will fit, after considerable modification to other components. Several years ago I did an article on this for Military Vehicles Magazine that gave the plug number, as well as the other heat ranges that will fit. Perhaps some other forum member has a copy of that issue at hand (I do not).

While you are at it, beware, it is my experience that a properly tuned R6602 "seems" to be running rich. "Correcting" this results in a very poor running engine indeed. Obtain a manual, and follow its recommendation.

Hope this helps,
David Doyle
West Tennessee

m139h2otruck

Most large auto-truck supply houses should be able to get the Champion plugs. I got mine from a local supply house that had them in stock.

DMgunn

I've tried to find some plugs (AC-WR41N or equivalent interchange) the last few days - no luck. Even called AC Delco directly - they say the plug must have been obsolete for at least 20 years, since they don't recognize the number, even though it is theirs. None of the cross-reference guides I checked (Autolite, Bosch, NGK) list this plug at all. I just broke down and ordered a set, along with cap, rotor, points and condensor, today. I had really hoped to find something local, now. Oh, well. If someone posts up the part numbers tonight, I will just pick up another set (if I can get them same or next-day). Can't wait to get this thing running like it's supposed to.

m139h2otruck

Looked up invoice for plugs, October 2005, Champion CHP 517 @ $13.01 each. Not sure if number is the store's stock # or Champion's. If you can get hold of a Champion catalog and look up the shielded plugs in the back, there are a number of different heat ranges available. We used a hotter plug which does not foul but doesn't seem to affect the engine at all.

acetomatoco

Champ #s were XMJ15 or 17 for a hotter one... The Autolite #s are 2243 and2245 they are 14 MM 3/8 reach... same plug as used in civvy ife without the radio suppression as a Champion J8..... ACWR41N is not a number of a plug in my 40 years for the 6602.... Napa should be able to get you the 2243 or 5 in the $10 range... Most MV dealers have them for about the same price... Same plug as the M37, M38, Reo M34 and a gazillion others....

DMgunn

Got the ignition stuff today. They sent Autolite plugs (don't remember #). Just put in the plugs for tonight - that old engine fired up in less than one revolution and immediately settled into a wonderful, slightly aggressive idle. I am very pleased.

Ace - you were right. Those AC plugs were quite different. They didn't even seat fully in the heads! There is a bit of a "shank" between the threads and the flange where the washer rests that caused the plugs to bottom out the threads before the washer contacted the head. Not to mention the colder heat range. Definitely military-style plugs, but for what, I don't know.

Got the parts from Antelope Valley. Reasonably priced, and the guy knew what I needed, and that he had it, immediately. And they have a toll-free number, which keeps my employer happy.

OSO

Glad to hear the update! I will try civi champion plugs UJ 12 Y , if i remembered what I wrote down . Will use Packard 440 wire stock for plug wires and bump timing just till it starts to buck when starting ,after warm up ,and back off a little. :grd:

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks