• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

where did this go?

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
That little line goes to the top of the master cylinder cap, its the vent line for fording ops

sermis

My master vent is crimped like that. There is a petcock added to the top of the master cap which seales it. Does the cap need to be vented? I had some brake problems until I removed the master and cleaned all the gunk out. Now it will slide the 15.5's.

HeadWizard

Speaking from recent experience, YES the master cylinder needs to be vented. I rebuilt the airpack (was cruddy so a good idea), checked all the wheel cylinders, flushed and bled the system and the da*n brakes still did not operated properly.

Rewind to the fact that the previous owner recently replaced the master and left the solid plug in the top (loose fitting) and forgot to tell me he moved the vent line. So I screwed up the brakes when I STUPIDLY did not think and closed up the top of the master cylinder TIGHTLY.

Drove great and stopped great for about a minute until I created a vacuum in the master, the dust boot sucked in and I almost took out the UPS guy because the pedal went hard as a rock!

Long answer and a learning lesson at the same time.

73 M35A2C now with brakes and for sale.

Don

acetomatoco

you can use a Differential vent in the cap.... The MWO was to take the vent off the air cleaner and bend a u in it and hang it on the firewall... There was a problem with MC Brake Fluid being sucked into the air cleaner under hard acceleration.... The air cleaner hookup for the vent was part of the....deep water fording capabilities.. ACE

rmgill

The MWO involves separating the fuel and air pack vent lines from the fuel tank vent lines. This is a good thing to do. Fuel vapors are not so good for your master cylinder (run a bit of gasoline? What's it do to your airpack's seals?). I found the requisite parts at a local parts store. You need a plug and another tee fitting. Eventually, I'm going to add in another set of lines for the axle vents so I can get a good vent with those too.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks