• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Where Do These Wires Go??

jplace1011

Hello!

I found these two disconnected wires (circled in Red) coming out of the tailgate. I’m assuming they are for the License Plate Light.

Any idea where they go? I’d like to reconnect them, just don’t know where?

Thank you for any help!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jplace1011

A stock CUCV has no wire in the tailgate. Someone added them and our guess is as good as your about what they do or where they go.
Whooooa!! I had no idea! Thank you for the info! I suspect the previous owner installed it.

Squibbly

The PO may have tried to install an electrical regulator for the rear window.

If you pull the panel off the inside of the back door, like how you would get to the glass, you should see what it is connected to.

jplace1011

The PO may have tried to install an electrical regulator for the rear window.

If you pull the panel off the inside of the back door, like how you would get to the glass, you should see what it is connected to.
I forgot to post some pics. Here’s a Light for the Rear Plate. The last one is with the lens cover off that I had to clean up.

cucvmule

collector of stuff
The wire harness is behind the bumper up under the bed panel. Look and see where the old splice area is. There should be plastic wire loom covering that is protecting the wires. Open up the slit in the loom and see if there are some old splices to use and repair. The wires could go through the bolt hole heading towards the taillight also, you may take the taillight lense off and then unscrew the light out and see if they attached there. Either way find the old splice and make certain it is a forever repair.

Squibbly

I forgot to post some pics. Here’s a Light for the Rear Plate. The last one is with the lens cover off that I had to clean up.

My bad. I thought you had an M1009. Ultimately one wire would go to ground and the other would go to wherever your fuse is for your tail lights. So follow the wires for the tail lights and you’ll probably find what that was hooked up to at one point as @cucvmule stated.

cucvmule

collector of stuff
On period GM trucks there was a single wire that had a round female connector that was for the K30 tailgate running lights. Whether that single wire is on the K5 or 1009 harness I do not know, but if it is still on that harness it would be a good place to get parking light power. Look in the CUCV helpful tips wiring diagrams or look at the harness.

jplace1011

On period GM trucks there was a single wire that had a round female connector that was for the K30 tailgate running lights. Whether that single wire is on the K5 or 1009 harness I do not know, but if it is still on that harness it would be a good place to get parking light power. Look in the CUCV helpful tips wiring diagrams or look at the harness.
This is for an M1009, not sure if that matters. I did see all of the wiring for the brakes, etc under the rear bumper. Pic below. The previous owner even spilled some Bondo on part of the wires. What the??

I’ll take a look around inside the tubing where all the wires are and see if I can find anything.

Thank you for your help guys! I’ll report back.

Here’s a pic of the wires I took yesterday. The tailgate is open.

Squibbly

This is for an M1009, not sure if that matters. I did see all of the wiring for the brakes, etc under the rear bumper. Pic below. The previous owner even spilled some Bondo on part of the wires. What the??

I’ll take a look around inside the tubing where all the wires are and see if I can find anything.

Thank you for your help guys! I’ll report back.

Here’s a pic of the wires I took yesterday. The tailgate is open.

Bring those wires with you. It's probably exactly the length of those wires (minus 4 or 5 inches). Use the wires as a sort of compass to get the inner radius of your search area where the wires would have even been able to connect at the length they are currently at.

jplace1011

Bring those wires with you. It's probably exactly the length of those wires (minus 4 or 5 inches). Use the wires as a sort of compass to get the inner radius of your search area where the wires would have even been able to connect at the length they are currently at.
I looked through the wires that are inside black tubing, but didn’t find a broken wire. I looked down until where the wiring splits.

So I unraveled that wire and it turns out to be just One Wire. It’s just a broken wire that was wound up. It goes into the tailgate into a silver square piece. I took the other end and grounded it with the lights On but nothing happened.

It’s about to start raining here so I have to hit the Pause Button. I’m going to replace the Bulb even while it’s raining. I doubt that’s it, but no harm trying.

I reached out to the previous owner, waiting a response and hopefully some insight!

jplace1011

I looked through the wires that are inside black tubing, but didn’t find a broken wire. I looked down until where the wiring splits.

So I unraveled that wire and it turns out to be just One Wire. It’s just a broken wire that was wound up. It goes into the tailgate into a silver square piece. I took the other end and grounded it with the lights On but nothing happened.

It’s about to start raining here so I have to hit the Pause Button. I’m going to replace the Bulb even while it’s raining. I doubt that’s it, but no harm trying.

I reached out to the previous owner, waiting a response and hopefully some insight!

As a comparison, I found a new License Plate Light at O’Reily’s and it has only One Wire. This makes me think that that broken wire is likely for the light?

Now if I can just find where to reconnect the loose end of the wire!!

jplace1011

As a comparison, I found a new License Plate Light at O’Reily’s and it has only One Wire. This makes me think that that broken wire is likely for the light?

Now if I can just find where to reconnect the loose end of the wire!!

I heard back from the previous owner. He never hooked up the light for the license plate. That explains why I can’t find where to connect it!

Johnny hooked one up to his truck, but I don’t know how exactly.

If anyone has an idea how to do it please let me know.

Squibbly

I heard back from the previous owner. He never hooked up the light for the license plate. That explains why I can’t find where to connect it!

Johnny hooked one up to his truck, but I don’t know how exactly.

If anyone has an idea how to do it please let me know.

If it were me, I'd get my multimeter. Set it to 20 DCV, and check the wires going to the brake light, with the service switch on and the knob pulled out. When I hit 12V, I'd push the knob in and see if I still have 12V. If I don't, I'd splice my plate light into that wire.
I'm sure someone on this forum may have already done it and can tell you what color wire it is.

Looking at the schematic, I would *assume* yellow wire, because that looks like a bulb with two elements in it for "low and high".
If it is indeed marking the first bulb as the brake light, then the Light Green wire.
1640996612600.png

I'd check it before I spliced into it though.

Last edited:

jplace1011

View attachment 854708
I mounted a 3rd brake light, license lamp, and a roof rack on my M1009. All the lamps I added were LED. Happy New Year. I have since sold this M1009. I wanted others to enjoy my toy.
I heard back from the previous owner. He never even hooked the light up!

I discovered my neighbor is an auto electrician, go figure! He was kind enough to help me out. We spliced into one of the wires going up into the brake lamp area. So far so good!!

Thank you for your help everyone.

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks