• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Where does this attach?

Third From Texas

The two fuel lines:
One attaches to the small fuel pump box above the tank (I think it's the outboard line that supplies fuel up to the heater)
The second is the return and it ties into the "T" at the tank fuel return (same fitting that the engine return fuel line is connected)

The small red power wire screws into the fuel pump box (iirc it tells the fuel pump when to come on to supply the heater)

GeneralDisorder

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Unless you want to run the 60,000 BTU (not a typo) heater in the van - which requires AC power BTW - you don't need it to connect to anything. That heater is probably ~80 lbs and takes up the whole right side pod that can easily be used for a smaller heater or storage. I stuck a Chinese 12v diesel heater in there in place of the military unit and made a door for the pod. Works great.

Third From Texas

Unless you want to run the 60,000 BTU (not a typo) heater in the van - which requires AC power BTW - you don't need it to connect to anything. That heater is probably ~80 lbs and takes up the whole right side pod that can easily be used for a smaller heater or storage. I stuck a Chinese 12v diesel heater in there in place of the military unit and made a door for the pod. Works great.
This^

Mine is sitting n the floor of my garage.

Not only is it LOUD (you can't sleep with it on) it is constantly warming up...blowing fire for two seconds.....cooling down for 5 minutes....warming up again.....rinse, repeat, And it's LOUD .

Did I mention how annoyingly LOUD it is?

The heater is LOUD. And the blower is insanely LOUD.

Even when I was on shore power or generator, I used a tiny electric heater. The artic heater is massive overkill and a HUGE waste of space.

And it's LOUD.

Bryteayes

This^

Mine is sitting n the floor of my garage.

Not only is it LOUD (you can't sleep with it on) it is constantly warming up...blowing fire for two seconds.....cooling down for 5 minutes....warming up again.....rinse, repeat, And it's LOUD .

Did I mention how annoyingly LOUD it is?

The heater is LOUD. And the blower is insanely LOUD.

Even when I was on shore power or generator, I used a tiny electric heater. The artic heater is massive overkill and a HUGE waste of space.

And it's LOUD.
Sounds like I'll be looking for another heating option. Although the Farmer's Almanac is predicting a cold, wet and icy winter for west Texas.

GeneralDisorder

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Sounds like I'll be looking for another heating option. Although the Farmer's Almanac is predicting a cold, wet and icy winter for west Texas.
That heater is a waste of fuel and a waste of your time. Uses too much fuel, too much electricity, and takes up a tremendous amount of space. As Third noted - the military didn't give a crap if you could sleep in there - you would be on duty at a desk and likely expected NOT to be sleeping. Chuck that thing in the nearest scrap metal pile.

Worry about making sure the enclosure doesn't leak first. The stock windows suck - they leak (water) and are completely uninsulated - replace them if you can and do it before you plan a build around them and regret keeping them. Also check the seals around every marker light and make sure you don't have a gap at the top of the rear doors where they meet. Don't neglect to use both of the left hand door latches - if you only use the bottom one the top of both doors will not seal. And make sure the rubber block that seals between where the upper corners of each door meet is not shrunk away from the door seals. You may have to add some rubber or weatherstripping to it in order to get a good seal. And any holes you make in the roof - especially along the edges - make sure you seal very well with Sikaflex 252 or water will get directly into the cable raceways for the marker light wiring and find it's way inside forming a puddle in your lowest corner.

I'm in Oregon and we get a lot of rain and plenty of cold in the winter so I'm a bit more aware than most about these aspects. My truck is a 2008 and so is Third's truck so we have been at this for a bit now. The M1079 is an amazing platform but there are definitely things about the design that could use improving for civilian use.

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks