• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Where is my coolant going?

shrekmoose

OK so im new here. Just bought my 1009 the other day havent even trailered it home yet. The guy i bought it from got it from a military auction and the thing only has 39,000 miles on it. But, he said it is getting coolant into the piston somehow. As of now the guy at the shop its at says the number 5 piston is hydro-locked(this is mainly an offroad suspension shop). He thinks its cavitation or a crack in the cylinder. The guy i bought it from says he just redid the head and he thinks it make the problem worse so im lost. Any ideas what this may be? Im hoping someone just really messed up a gasket and it will be an easy fix. But hey for 200 bucks and a cd player it aint to bad. :)

DanMartin

Pull the heads and have them magna-fluxed...that'll tell you for sure. Check the gaskets carefully when the head is off...usually (not always) you can see where the leak was. If it's the block, you can magna-flux that too, but I usually use a dye process if it's still in the vehicle.

Then you'll know...

I bet it's a gasket. Consider new (yes, new) bolts or studs when reassembling...old bolts can stretch. Not a requirement, but sort-of cheap insurance. Also use a quality gasket (of course).

If it's the block...there are plenty of pulled motors out there. I wouldn't bother trying to fix an old one when there are good pulls out there you can drop in for minimal fuss.

FMJ

In Memorial
In Memorial
Re: RE: Where is my coolant going?

CCATLETT1984 said:
Dont "consider" new bolts, the head bolts are torque-to-yield. ONE TIME USE ONLY.. Spend the little bit of money and get new bolts or spend the dough on a stud kit.
They used TTY bolts back in the 80's?, as head bolts?......First time I've run into those was on my 06 GTO.

m35a2cowner

Coolant loss

Since the guy just "rebuilt" the head get the casting number(s) of the block and head and ask someone knowledgeable about the engine and see if its the right head for the block. Also, check to make sure the right head gasket was installed. I agree with the head bolt replacement, however....make sure to clean out the bolt holes. If there was a leaking condition that caused the head replacement it could have made some sludge that found its way into the bolt holes and the bolts are binding or bottoming out before they apply the right amount of clamping force to the head. Good luck with your project.

DanMartin

FMJ said:
CCATLETT1984 said:
Dont "consider" new bolts, the head bolts are torque-to-yield. ONE TIME USE ONLY.. Spend the little bit of money and get new bolts or spend the dough on a stud kit.
They used TTY bolts back in the 80's?, as head bolts?......First time I've run into those was on my 06 GTO.
Agreed with FMJ...including the part about the 06 GTO. :)

Small world....you on the ls2gto.com site?

*ahem*...anyways...back on topic:

I thought the TTY stuff came in much later. Most of the diesel engines I've ever seen have had the older style bolt or stud design...but honestly I'm not an expert here, so someone please check me on this.

Anyways...let me re-enforce my previous statement: "Seriously Consider new bolts or a stud kit". If you go with a good ARP stud kit (Should be around $100), you'll never have to worry about bolt stretch and torque issues again.

DanMartin

RE: Re: RE: Where is my coolant going?

OK...a bit of online research....looks like the bolts are not re-usable on the 6.2/6.5 (several posts in different diesel forums seem to confirm this). Not sure if they are truly TTY, but either way, it looks like they are junk once used (maybe this is contributing to the sealing issues you are seeing).

Summit Racing has the stud kits for $159 for the 6.2. I can't imagine the 6.5 kits being much more. Apparently you can get a *ton* more clamping force with the studs (and they are re-usable).

...and there you go. Probably way more information than you needed, huh? :)

FMJ

In Memorial
In Memorial

DanMartin said:
FMJ said:
CCATLETT1984 said:
Agreed with FMJ...including the part about the 06 GTO. :)

Small world....you on the ls2gto.com site?
Yeah, 06 M6 PBM with 112 Maggy :)

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks