• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Where to get a Deuce Turbo Rebuilt??

Commander5993

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Hi Everyone, I posted a photo of my C-Type (Whistler) Turbo, in my Deuce Recovery, and now "project" thread located here, with Original Photo of the Turbo also attached below. I'm getting this truck ready for long trips on the highway. So I'm trying to make any and all repairs and a few updates.

I saw that the turbo was leaking some oil from the rubber coupling, which connects the turbo to the intake pipe going into the engine. So I took a quick photo, and posted it hoping someone could tell me if it was like I was thinking,and that the turbo needed to get rebuilt.
Well one person did comment on the photo and said that there is oil coming out from the intake side, then it needs to be rebuilt as it could lead to an engine "run away" condition. Which is the whole reason why I posted about it in the first place, as I had read about run away engines here on SS, with the cause being oil leaking from the turbo.

So, I have started looking for some place to send this turbo to get it rebuilt. I read a thread where someone did their own rebuild, and I think I might be able to do it. But I also read how it was stressed that even the slightest "bump" could throw it out of balance, which would later destroy it and probably my engine. So I would rather find a reputable company (preferable with a warranty on the work) that will rebuild the C-Type Turbo's.

I sent in for a quote to J & H Diesel, who I read about here on SS. But so far I haven't heard anything back from them.

Does anyone else know where or who rebuilds the turbos for the deuce??

Any help or information would be much appreciated!

Attachments

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
Our member "Ken"(thats his user ID here) in Texas rebuilds them. He and I have spoke and he will be getting mine here shortly.

wsucougarx

Rebuild it yourself;-) It's pretty easy!
http://www.steelsoldiers.com/deuce/75970-turbo-rebuild-3lj-319-whistler.html
To answer your question, an oil leak on that side of the turbo is really really BAD. I wouldn't drive the truck nor start that thing up!!! That is a recipe for disaster as your truck could run away. A leak right there shows you're compressor side oil seal is gone. The oil intended to cool/lubricate your turbo is going into your intake that could "FUEL" your engine until something catastrophic happens. Before discussing a rebuild, you need to remove the turbo and see if the blades come in contact with the turbo housing. Check the exhaust and compressor side. If there is indeed contact, then your turbo is garbage.

Last edited:

Heavysteven

Attachments

Last edited:

Commander5993

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Rebuild it yourself;-) It's pretty easy!
http://www.steelsoldiers.com/deuce/75970-turbo-rebuild-3lj-319-whistler.html
To answer your question, an oil leak on that side of the turbo is really really BAD. I wouldn't drive the truck nor start that thing up!!! That is a recipe for disaster as your truck could run away. A leak right there shows you're compressor side oil seal is gone. The oil intended to cool/lubricate your turbo is going into your intake that could "FUEL" your engine until something catastrophic happens. Before discussing a rebuild, you need to remove the turbo and see if the blades come in contact with the turbo housing. Check the exhaust and compressor side. If there is indeed contact, then your turbo is garbage.
Hi Wsucougarx! Yes I found and completely read through your Turbo Rebuild thread a few days ago. Excellent Job on the "How To" by the way.

I thought about rebuilding it myself, but I don't know. I'd rather just have some do it who has some experience with them, if the price is right. If it ends up being out of my price range, then I may have to order the kit you suggested, print off your How To, sit down and do myself and hope that I don't knock anything out of balance.

We just go done taking the Turbo off. There was a little more to it than I first thought. The exhaust bolts were a pain, but Thank the Heavenly Father Yahuah none of them broke... especially the rear studs.

After removal, I turned the turbo by hand. The action feels smooth, and I can't hear any grinding or "metal to metal" contact or anything. So I believe that the turbo itself is fine other than the oil seals.

Thanks of all the info and the tips! Its already been a help, and if I end up rebuilding it myself, your "How To" will be invaluable! [thumbzup][thumbzup][thumbzup]

Thanks for the Reply!

Commander5993

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Should be dry, here are some photo's from when I did an inspection on my a while back. Hopefully this will give you something to compare and see the components with having to disassemble your truck.

I made a video on YouTube of how I removed my intake elbow and flame heater.
[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pz4fYBo5Jfs&feature=youtube_gdata_player[/media]
Hey Thanks Alot! These will be very helpful! [thumbzup][thumbzup][thumbzup]

Commander5993

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Our member "Ken"(thats his user ID here) in Texas rebuilds them. He and I have spoke and he will be getting mine here shortly.

I found Ken in the member list and sent him a PM yesterday. Hopefully I'll hear back from him today or tomorrow and can ship it out on monday. We'll be waiting on the turbo to get back before we finish the exhaust. I am replacing the J-Pipe and we're adding a muffler, as the deuce is just to loud for long trips at highway (...50-55mph) speeds.

Commander5993

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I've been doing some searching on front axle boots. I am sure that the solid boots last longer than the zipper boots, but I've also read of some only lasting a year? Why is this? Has anyone found a better axle boot that will last?
I have seen axle boots for sale, like on Eriks, that also state that the boot will fit the Dodge W500. Is this just a Dodge W500 Boot, and it "fits" the M35? Could this be why the boots aren't lasting? Is the M35 made slightly different that it is wearing out the replacement boots?
How about NOS Boots? Can they be had, and would they even be worth trying since they are rubber and already "Old Stock"?

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks