• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Where to start?

Bdfancy81

Finally got around to working on my 915a1. Drained a little fuel from tank, looked ok so changed fuel filter, coolant filter and external transmission filter. Loosened oil drain plug enough so oil came out. No sign of coolant settled on bottom. I figured see if it starts get oil warmed up and change that. Put a heater under it, hour later tried it, it started right up. Smoking significantly whitish with black smoke, didn't see any blowby from breather, cracked oil fill cap, had significant blowby. Oil pressure according to gauge was 45 to 50 range. Shut it down after a few minutes, it started right back up. No serious noises like anything coming apart, slight stumble when throttled up. About this moment I noticed it's pushing oil out exhaust. So I Shut it down, let it sit, checked oil level, still good level pulled air intake into turbo. I can wiggle the shaft slightly to it. That's as far as I got yesterday. I guess next I will see why it's pushing oil out through turbo...minimum i would say the turbo is bad. Maximum maybe head gasket or bad liner? Anyone have any thoughts?

INFChief

Finally got around to working on my 915a1. Drained a little fuel from tank, looked ok so changed fuel filter, coolant filter and external transmission filter. Loosened oil drain plug enough so oil came out. No sign of coolant settled on bottom. I figured see if it starts get oil warmed up and change that. Put a heater under it, hour later tried it, it started right up. Smoking significantly whitish with black smoke, didn't see any blowby from breather, cracked oil fill cap, had significant blowby. Oil pressure according to gauge was 45 to 50 range. Shut it down after a few minutes, it started right back up. No serious noises like anything coming apart, slight stumble when throttled up. About this moment I noticed it's pushing oil out exhaust. So I Shut it down, let it sit, checked oil level, still good level pulled air intake into turbo. I can wiggle the shaft slightly to it. That's as far as I got yesterday. I guess next I will see why it's pushing oil out through turbo...minimum i would say the turbo is bad. Maximum maybe head gasket or bad liner? Anyone have any thoughts?
Three thoughts: 1). You might want to check the injector(s) & injector pump for pressure. 2). Is the turbo or any oil supply lines wet or leaking? 2A). Is dirty oil being spit out the exhaust? 3). How does the air filter look?

Bdfancy81

Three thoughts: 1). You might want to check the injector(s) & injector pump for pressure. 2). Is the turbo or any oil supply lines wet or leaking? 2A). Is dirty oil being spit out the exhaust? 3). How does the air filter look?
Both filter elements are clean, air intake side of turbo is clean. Dirty oil dripped down through joint in flex pipe. Turbo, oil supply lines are dry.

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
Liner issue would have coolant in the oil. So would a cracked counterbore. Then tend to crack bore to head bolt

Bad injector o ring or front ip seal failure it would be making oil.

Drop the turbo and exhaust manifold off plug the turbo oil supply. See which cylinder is wet. It will be either obvious when the manifold is off or run it and see what you get

Bdfancy81

Liner issue would have coolant in the oil. So would a cracked counterbore. Then tend to crack bore to head bolt

Bad injector o ring or front ip seal failure it would be making oil.

Drop the turbo and exhaust manifold off plug the turbo oil supply. See which cylinder is wet. It will be either obvious when the manifold is off or run it and see what you get
👍The turbo and manifold is my next step, I did also get ahold of a local guy to me who is going to pressure test and check liner etc. Funny thing is it doesn't run bad at all. Go figure. Thanks

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
👍The turbo and manifold is my next step, I did also get ahold of a local guy to me who is going to pressure test and check liner etc. Funny thing is it doesn't run bad at all. Go figure. Thanks
It's a waste to pressure test em. If the oil pan doesn't have water In it they are fine

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks