• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Which Block Heater Do I Choose??(NHC250)

No.2Diesel

Hi,

We're still going through some items on the M819 (misc. coolant hoses, alternator etc.) and would like to install a block heater while we are draining some coolant.

Looking in the ZeroStart catalog, there are a dozen or more choices for the 855ci Cummins. Which one is right? The catalog also recommends that if your application is not provided, in-line hose heaters are available.

Does anyone have a block heater installed on their NHC250 and which one is it?
A coolant filter seems like a good idea too.

Thanks

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
i found my block heater new on ebay for about 35, just do a search for block heater, i cant give you the name or part number as im in la

GIJoeCzar

Steel Soldiers Supporter
ABSOLUTELY install the block heater! It's the ONLY way to go for cold weather starts. Although the Cummins like the candy (ether), block heater plugged in four hours prior to cranking makes the motor start like it was just shut down. Make sure you clock the element correctly; go to:

http://czarnik.net/joe/My_Stuff/Sur... Cummins Small Cam Block Heater Locations.JPG

If you've got an M809 you'll need to install your block heater in the rear plate (or remove the exhaust manifold to get it in the middle plate). I've got the zerostat block heater number at my shop, and I'll be at my shop this Friday.

Give me a call at (608) 567-8281 if you don't have the number by then.

REMEMBER TO CLOCK THE BLOCK HEATER CORRECTLY!!!

Good luck,

Joe

No.2Diesel

Wow many thanks for the info and the illustration. Taking the exhuast manifold off doesn't sound like fun right now. Thanks for enlightening me about alternate locations.

The 819 is way too much fun to drive around in. The wrecker saunters around town like a brontosaurus. And I thought my whistler Deuce was loud. Did I mention the black smoke? :p

No.2Diesel

I think you have to make sure that the element is not directly contacting the block to prevent damage to the element. It should be placed parallel with the flow of coolant as well so as not to obstruct flow. Thats just my guess.

Jones

To assure good coolant circulation around the element. Also, so it doesn't lay against the block casting and create a hot spot; or short out if the ceramic coating gets chipped or worn off.

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I believe the heating element creates its own circulation by convection. Some external models have a built-in check valve to assure that the coolant flows in a specific direction as it is heated.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks