• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Which bottle jack?

MTVR

I was somewhat fortunate in that my MTVR came with the flat steel jack base, wheel chocks, and the long threaded hold-down for them inside the passenger side steps... I do need a bottle jack.

What would be a good choice (and a good value)? Can I power an air over oil one off of the truck?

Elijah95

Certified Rookie
I use a 20 ton from harbor freight and keep 10 4x4 pressure treated blocks 12” long for adjusting height before jacking.

I prefer my manual jack over an air powered for reliability sake

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Elijah95

Certified Rookie
Don't the air over oil ones have a manual handle too?
Yes, but if you’re going with harbor freight flavor steer clear from the air jacks they are prone to leaking past seals even when on the shelf. I’ve had my 20 ton for 3 years now and I’ve learned the 30 seconds you save jacking just simply isn’t worth it imho

MTVR

Yes, but if you’re going with harbor freight flavor steer clear from the air jacks they are prone to leaking past seals even when on the shelf. I’ve had my 20 ton for 3 years now and I’ve learned the 30 seconds you save jacking just simply isn’t worth it imho

I'm inclined to take your advice on that, Elijah. Thank you.

Elijah95

Certified Rookie
Now if you can find a reputable brand name air jack by all means it may be worth while! I can only vouch for what I’ve seen, other experience may vary.

And yes I keep all my tire changing and assorted tools in that storage box. Beware though, that box isn’t sealed and if water gets on your floorboard it will enter the box as well.

zebedee

conceptualizer at large
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have a couple of 20 ton bottle jacks spare ( they are BII for an M916) and are US made.

98G

Former SSG
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Carry two....not just one and cribbing.

Consider - you have to start off low enough to get under a flat 16.00. And you have to end up high enough to fit an inflated 16.00. Most jacks wont have enough travel to do this.

And you can't add cribbing once the truck is on the jack.

MTVR

Carry two....not just one and cribbing.

Consider - you have to start off low enough to get under a flat 16.00. And you have to end up high enough to fit an inflated 16.00. Most jacks wont have enough travel to do this.

And you can't add cribbing once the truck is on the jack.
I was kind of visualizing the process and thinking the same thing. Maybe a pair of regular 20-ton bottle jacks would be good...

Elijah95

Certified Rookie
Or if you get resourceful some roadside scavenging/additional wood blocks will allow you to drive blown tire up onto it, then insert jack and cribbing to obtain proper height for new tire. Owning any MV requires being resourceful and a strong determination to “Adapt and overcome any obstacle” otherwise when you break down you’ll be paying a HEFTY tow bill $1000+ along with a few thousand on repairs. I’ve never paid anyone to work on my trucks period

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
With a blowout you simply put a 4x4 block down in front of the blowout and pull onto it. Or a 6x6. This will help speed things up. Avg time for me to do a blowout swap on the road is under 45mins

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
Then again I'm lazy. I say the any reason to need a bottle jack means that the wrecker can lift it easier.

Reactions: 98G
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks