• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Which engine do I have?

Bobbyconti

Bought a 69 am general m35a2, I need help I.D.ing the engine. It's a multi-fuel, quiet turbo, but the tag is washed clean. Casted on the heads is a C with an L through it (Continental/Lycoming...???), how can I tell if it's an LDT, LDS, 465c, or what? It does smoke at startup and on hard acceleration (grey smoke), but runs O.K. With a light haze during idle. How can I tell what it is?

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Post some pics and we should be able to tell.

Very good chance it is a LDT-456

patracy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
The odds are pretty much it's an LDT 465. Since it's a quiet turbo, it's a D turbo.

Bobbyconti

Are there any other markings/ tags on these engines to confirm its manufacturer? I do know it's an LDT engine, but I'm unsure of which one. I have heard of different variants that were used, basically due to emissions (smoke). Seems to be a solid runner, but it's a smoker.

patracy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Should be a tag on it with white/Hercules/Continental on it. Doesn't really matter though, they're all the same. So long as the block has TD cast into it, you're good. (Thick deck) The only emissions related concerns was the addition of the turbo. As the original engines had none.

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
The starter on an LDS is on the opposite side from an LDT.

LDS's were mostly used in the 5 ton trucks although there were some transplanted into deuces either by design or mistake.
Thats only true if your looking in a 5ton. The LDS in my deuce is on the passenger side. It is truck dependent, not motor dependent.

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Look at your Injector Pump ID tag. That will tell you if it has an LDT or LDS IP(does not mean the engine is also, but it's a good possibility).

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks