• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Which engine?

bigtard10

I know its not military vehicle but its pretty **** close, might make it into a cucv clone. I have a 1977 chevy blazer and I am day dreaming of which engine I would want it in the the future. It's between a LS9, Chevy ZZ575, or maybe even a Duramax? thanks!

VPed

Steel Soldiers Supporter
How about a Cadillac 500 cu.in. torque monster? Good for lots of low end torque. Even with buying an aftermarket TBI injection system for drivability, it would be cheaper than the alternatives listed above. Big torque motors do not need lots of gears so a TH 400 with moderate gears in the differentials should do fine on and off road.

richingalveston

If I had the money, it would be a P-400 in front of a 4l80e with a hero 3 speed transfer case.
Those three pieces will cost you about 15K but will bolt in without any serious cutting. It is still probably cheaper than a d-max with Allison install.

This would be my long range after I win the lottery plans.

Rich

11Echo

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The 1970-71 Eldorado's 472 inch engine were Cadillac's best carbureted motor. There are companies with ready to bolt in motor mounts and some have flywheel/clutch setups for manual transmissions. Look around.

evldoer

If you have deep pockets the ls9 would be fun. Something a little more in the average guys budget would be a 6 liter.
I'm doing a conversion on a customer's 85 chevy civvy pickup using a 2009 ly6 6.0 engine with variable valve timing and the 6l80e transmission. Relatively easy swap, as far as ls conversions go. I think The 6 speed auto will really be nice in an older truck. With the right tune this engine should make 400+ horsepower.
The ZZ572 would be fun also, but might not be much of a daily driver

Attachments

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks