• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Which is best, SF97 or State Certificate of Title? In TX

archmark

GovPlanet says the following:
[h=4]Titling Documents for Vehicles:[/h]If requested, GovPlanet will supply a titling document to customers under the following conditions: The vehicle must have been sold in a "useable" property sale and information needed to produce the document must be available. There is a processing fee of $50 for EACH SF97 requested. Customers requiring a state certificate of title or duplicate state certificate of title will be charged $150, which includes a document preparation fee of $100 for each state certificate of title or duplicate state certificate of title. The option to select a titling document is offered during the checkout process.
Title inquiries should be sent to titledepartment@govplanet.com.

Which is the best, most hassle free of the 2 docs to get? BTW I'm in TX and the purchase was an M934.

Thanks...

Mark

fuzzytoaster

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I'm going through the "state certificate of title" process right now to see how it works. So far by who I've spoken with at GP is they do exactly what you'd do with your SF-97 here in texas but they do it in Florida instead. Since GP already charged me sales tax on the invoice then you should get a credit when applying for the title at the DMV or so it has worked in the past. It appears to me it's just another service they offer if you don't want to file the sf-97 yourself. My problem right now is I was sent an email from GP stating they do not have all the info required to file the sf-97 so I must go inspect the vehicle and fill out a bunch of forms. Next time I'm just going to apply for the SF-97 and do it myself. 2cents

TL;DR - If you've filed an SF-97 before then do it that way. If you're new to the process just opt-in for the actual title.

wdbtchr

I've always gone with the SF-97 myself but I guess if all the titles come from Florida you might want to check with your state license office. I know Missouri can be a snot about titles from some states, you don't want to know how I know this Tennessee.

Suprman

Supporting Vendor
If the vehicle in question is over 25 years old then the notarized bill of sale GP offers may be the best and easiest way to go. Many states don't require a title for vehicles over a certain age.

TucsonVTXF

only 5 or so states want a notarized bill of sale. Rust belt states use the bill of sale if over 20-25 year idea... so go with the SF97 most surplus has not been titled before..

Joehamilton

I requested the title service for my M923A2, and delivery was over 60 days from receipt of payment. As I understand, GP gets the SF-97 from Michigan, gets a title in Florida, mails the title to California, and finally mails the title to you. I am only requesting SF-97s in the future.

jlittrell

I just bought 3 Humvees, a 5 ton, LMTV, a wrecker(6 wheel), 3 drash units, 3 flat bed trailers, and one ammo trailer. So far all the vehicles from GP have come with Bill of sale and SF-97s that have "for off road use only" on them. Is the off road use determined by state or is that across the board?

Suprman

Supporting Vendor
Only the humvees are off road use only. Everything else you can get a bill of sale, df97 or Fl title from GP that can be used for reg and road use.

jlittrell

That's strange seeing as the other vehicles are much larger than the Humvees. I think I might start a business with the wrecker. That thing is HUGE and can pull anything out from anywhere!!

scottmandu

The problem with going the Florida title route in Texas is you generally get the title documents 6-8 weeks after the sale date and Texas charges you a penalty up to $250.00. With the SF-97 you don't have that penalty.

kblazer87

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Does Texas allow the sf97 with the re-assignment letter? Indiana will allow an sf97 if it is the owners name . The sf97 from govplanet is filled out with govplanet or ironplanet (can't remember which) listed as owner, then sent with a "letter of reassignment" transferring the sf97 to you. Indiana wont accept the reassignment letter. Only the sf97 in your name. Lots of states will accept the reassignment letters. I assume Texas does as others have said thats how they've done it.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks