• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Which tires/transmission?

Croatan_Kid

I've already got two 35x12.50-16 SSRs that I mounted on a new set of ProComp steel wheels I bought. I was planning on running them on my M1008 with a little trimming to start with then a 4 inch lift later on. My problem is this: I have come across a fellow, not too far from where I live, that has 3 sets of 1100R-16 Michelin XZLs for 500 bucks a set installed, cheaper if you just pick them up like I will. Two new SSRs would be about 600 bucks with shipping. Also, I've got all the stuff to build a stout 700R4 for the same truck. I know it would work very well with the 35 SSRs, however, overdrive might be a little much for the 38s.

@ 65 MPH with Michelins, no OD: 2575 RPM
@ 65 MPH, Michelins, w/ OD: 1810 RPM

Would 1810 rpm lug really bad when it hit OD and cause too much strain? Should I just stick to 35s? Should I nix the 700R4 swap and run the Michelins? I'd really like to run the 700R4. Any other suggestions would be nice as well.

CCATLETT1984

1800 rpm wouldnt lug too bad at all, under load it wouldnt lock the torque converter at those rpms. once you got up to speed the TC would lock and you will get great fuel mileage.
Also with the 700r4, it has a much lower first gear and as long as its built properly will last a very long time.

Croatan_Kid

Thanks, I've just been pretty jittery lately about my whole build up process. I know you've got to be tired of answering all my questions :roll: Something else I was wondering about was if the converter can lockup at less rpms than the advertised stall speed on the converter. Say I was running less than 60, lets use 55 for an example.

(55x4.56x336) = 84269
Ans / 38.7 = 2178
Ans x .7 (OD) = 1525 rpm @ 55 mph

Would it have shifted into OD by that speed?
What speed would I have to run before lockup occurs?

Thanks a bunch :D

Croatan_Kid

AJMBLAZER, you're the main reason I want them! After having seen your pictures I was sold on them, now I gotta get them. XL or XZL, I gotta get some Michelins! :D